Symbology Not Showing

02-09-2018 08:21 AM
ConnorKeef
New Contributor

I'm having a problem with ArcGIS Pro not showing symbology for a layer I'm trying to display.  I have the Census Zip Code tabulation shapefile, which I have joined to a .csv that shows constituents in each Zip Code.  The fields have properly joined and the Symbology is showing values for the breaks.  However, it is not showing them on the map.  I've attached a screenshot of my desktop.  Problems Displaying Symbology

0 Kudos
11 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

What version of Pro are you working with?

Do you have the ability to see if the same layer setup would work in whatever ArcMap version you have access to?

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

If you use the single symbol symbology do the polygons display correctly?

0 Kudos
ConnorKeef
New Contributor

0 Kudos
ConnorKeef
New Contributor

It seems so.  The fact that some of the values are <Null> is not a problem, is it?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you provide a sample of the data that I use to troubleshoot in my ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
ConnorKeef
New Contributor

Try this... I saved the layer as a layer file, but I'm not sure if the Joins to the .csv work or not.

https://files.fm/u/5vrgydku

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you make the join permanent so that you aren't dealing with a joined csv file anymore... does the symbology show then?

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

The site seems to be down - I'll try again early next week.  Thx!

0 Kudos
mrmark
by
Occasional Contributor

Robert.

Here is a link to a zip file with the project I used in the video below. It has a project that has a geodatabase in it with two data sets from the Esri Data & Maps for ArcGIS 2017: cities_dtl and states. It also has a CSV that has median rent prices by state and for many cities across the country. The CSV field that joins to either state names or cities names is "Location" 

JoinTesting.zip - Box  

** At least there is a workaround other than creating a new data layer with the joined data included. The larger problem I run into is that as soon as you join tables changing symbology or even redrawing the map goes from blink of an eye quick to over 60 seconds. If changing symbology it is usually 60 seconds to determine new class breaks, then another 60 before it re-draws -- IF it redraws. With the lack of an Apply button and every single symbology change taking over a minute to do anything it is very hard to keep using Pro. 

Here's a video demonstrating: JoinscausemajorslowdowninPro.mov - Box  

Both of these were on a Citrix XenApp server with two NVIDIA M60 GRID cards (8Q profile = 16GB vGPU), 8-core XEON & 64GB RAM. 

A man's feet should be planted in his country, but his eyes should survey the world. - G. Santayana
0 Kudos