Symbology in legend doesn't match that in map

08-17-2024 05:57 PM
Labels (1)
AvaFarouche
Frequent Contributor

Hi there.

I have a problem in which the legend symbology doesn't match the chosen/ map symbology. I'm using proportional symbols. The symbols are a circle with no fill; just an outline. In the legend, as the size of the circle increases, so does the thickness of the outline. But as the circles show up in the map, the size of the outline stays consistent, as it should, even as the circles get larger. I'd like these to be consistent; the outline in the legend should stay a consistent size. Image clips are included below.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you!

AvaFarouche_0-1723942575635.png      AvaFarouche_1-1723942596270.png

3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So one thing to try is in your Map View, right click on the Map and select Set Reference Scale (i.e. 500,000).  In your Layout View, select the Legend and right click -> properties.  In the Legend pane, bottom part of the pane, check the box for Synchronize with map -> Refererence Scale.  Does this resolve the size difference between the symbols?

0 Kudos
AvaFarouche
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, Robert! Unfortunately, it didn't. I already had the legend properties set to synchronize with map for the reference scale. I tried setting and clearing the reference scale for the map at a few different scales but nothing changed with the legend.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Certainly!  I'll keep doing some digging on my side to see if I can find a better solution...

0 Kudos