Symbology from field in the attribute table when added from a geodatabase

Jump to solution
02-09-2022 07:08 AM
CandiSmith23
New Contributor II

Hi wondering if anyone can help. I have a geodatabase and I would like when I add features from it to my map for the symbology be a unique value from a field in the attribute table. How can I set this up so it happens automatically when the data is added?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

True. Could you add an integer field, and define the code and description for the subtype. Then use Calculate Field to define appropriate codes based on the TEXT field.

Think Location

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Is your layer already being symbolized by unique values or are you using single symbol symbology?

0 Kudos
CandiSmith23
New Contributor II

When I add my points from the gdb it comes in as a single point but I would like it to come in with symbols with unique values using my symbology code in the attribute table. I have two pictures one the way it comes in and the way I would like it to come in. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

- One way would be to save the layer (with categorized symbology) as a layer file. And add the layer file instead of the Feature Class from the Geodatabase.

- Another option that could work out is the creation of subtypes

Think Location
0 Kudos
CandiSmith23
New Contributor II

Yes subtype is what is done in other geodatabases I received  but  I can’t seem to add one to mine 😞  it’s not and option in the Field name and when I type it in a get an error.

0 Kudos
CandiSmith23
New Contributor II

I think I know why it’s not working my field is ‘text’ and I just read it should be long or short integer

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

True. Could you add an integer field, and define the code and description for the subtype. Then use Calculate Field to define appropriate codes based on the TEXT field.

Think Location
0 Kudos
CandiSmith23
New Contributor II

This forum is an awesome source! Thanks to all!

0 Kudos