SVG marker exported with large bounding box

Jump to solution
05-09-2022 10:09 AM
GenericPlanner
New Contributor

Hello -

I've set up a park map which includes a Parks POI layer. I've set SVG symbols for each of the item types within the layer. When I export the map to AIX, each SVG icon is exported with a large bounding box around it and the quality of some of the SVGs is deteriorated. Any suggestions on how to ensure the SVGs maintain their integrity and there are no bounding boxes?

I've attached an image showing the boxes and the poor rendering. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SarahBell
Esri Contributor

Hi @GenericPlanner. You're running into a known limitation that the Pro-to-AIX currently has with SVG symbols. The workflow's current best practices for point symbology is described here. For custom point symbols, Illustrator (although it is a vector editor) does not consume SVGs from Pro in an optimal manner in a complicated file like a map. Further complicating the issue is that the ultimate file you are getting is an AI (not an SVG). For now, the product documentation suggests to use a simple point symbology in Pro, and then use the Maps for Adobe custom symbol replacement process (it works really fast!). I wrote a how-to post, which is step three on this page

Here is the product doc for the automatic Symbol Replacement process as well.

For the bounding boxes that you are seeing, it is hard to tell from the image if they are clipping paths or actual artwork paths. If they are the former, you can lock all but that layer, and perform the Illustrator function to remove all clipping paths. Be aware that if you do this, you will lose the organization of those discrete symbol "packages" (an Illustrator limitation). This is why the product doc suggests the custom symbol replacement. 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SarahBell
Esri Contributor

Hi @GenericPlanner. You're running into a known limitation that the Pro-to-AIX currently has with SVG symbols. The workflow's current best practices for point symbology is described here. For custom point symbols, Illustrator (although it is a vector editor) does not consume SVGs from Pro in an optimal manner in a complicated file like a map. Further complicating the issue is that the ultimate file you are getting is an AI (not an SVG). For now, the product documentation suggests to use a simple point symbology in Pro, and then use the Maps for Adobe custom symbol replacement process (it works really fast!). I wrote a how-to post, which is step three on this page

Here is the product doc for the automatic Symbol Replacement process as well.

For the bounding boxes that you are seeing, it is hard to tell from the image if they are clipping paths or actual artwork paths. If they are the former, you can lock all but that layer, and perform the Illustrator function to remove all clipping paths. Be aware that if you do this, you will lose the organization of those discrete symbol "packages" (an Illustrator limitation). This is why the product doc suggests the custom symbol replacement. 

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
mcparkstrails
New Contributor II

Sarah - 

This info was super helpful last year and I've had a ton of success with the process. I'm running into something weird now when trying to do the symbol replacement. When I start the process it is giving me an Error message saying "Process Failed. No Documents." 

Any idea what is causing this or how to fix it? Thanks!

0 Kudos
SarahBell
Esri Contributor

Hello. Good question. I'm not sure why you'd be running into this - did anything about your setup change? The only thing I can think of is this unusual requirement on Illustrator's behalf:  For some reason at least one layer in your symbol library .AI file has to be visible (toggled on) for the symbol replacement to work. So open that file, and make sure the layer's setting is toggled to be visible. It does not even need to have any artwork in the layer, but it needs to be visible. If this does not resolve it, you may want to reinstall. Keep an eye out for 3.5 too, coming soon.

0 Kudos
SarahBell
Esri Contributor

Also, @mcparkstrails make sure you are pointing to a file from the Processes panel, otherwise the extension will not know what to do 🙂

0 Kudos
MarkGambordella
New Contributor III

Looking For parks and recreation Stylx or svg for map we are creating.  Need icons like disc golf, soccer, baseball, swimming etc...

0 Kudos