Street index and custom graticule labels

10-01-2018 04:29 AM
AlfonsoDodero
New Contributor III
Hello to all,
I need to set up a layout for a map series with custom graticule labels.
Using the Grid Index Features tool in ArcGIS Pro, I have already created a grid feature class where each cell has a value like A1; A2; B1; B2, and I've made with it a spatial join of my linear feature class representing streets. The result is, for example, "Main Street B1"; "Jefferson Street A2"; and so I could easily identify the street features on the map, like an atlas.

Forobtaing a custom graticule labels, not reffered to a SR but to my Grid,  I have converted the labels of the graticule feature class into annotations dividing them in letters and numbers. So, in addition to the main map, I created two other maps, one with the letters, one with the numbers.
In the layout, I inserted the map with the numbers squeezed vertically; the map with the letters narrow horizontally. At the center of the layout is the main map of which the other two maps are naturally anchored. The system works:  on the x axis are  the letters, on the y axis the numbers, and everything is updated with the pages of the series of maps, however it is really cumbersome and heavy.

I would kindly ask you if it is a leaner and more efficient way to have custom graticule labels like I've described.
Thank you
    A B C D E 
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Reference Grids will be in ArcGIS Pro 2.3 slated to be available in January.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

How would one create a street index figure for the side of the map using this?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Seriously though ESRI? I am waiting? ArcGIS Pro Text Index grid Function?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Brian - I can't speak with regard to AGP 2.6 (coming soon) if this functionality will be there or not as I'm on the Training Services Team and not the AGP Dev Team.  But I've seen this question before and there's a 2007 blog on how to accomplish this in ArcMap but it can updated to AGP easily enough as the GP tools are there.  Not ideal but is a workflow you can use if you need to do this now.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Robert, 

Thank you for replying.

I am going through that workflow. I created the grid and for the sake of learning how I am trying to write scripts for the grid array's ROW_ID and COLUMN_ID. 

I want to use python or ARCADE to calculate the fields. 

Could you point me in the right direction for how to finish this basic expression? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

0 Kudos