Slowness in Arcgis Pro

Jump to solution
01-28-2021 04:42 AM
Luiz_FernandoOrtega
New Contributor II

In recent weeks, my arcgis pro's performance has dropped infinitely. Applications that took 10 seconds today take about 40 minutes, my pc has configuration to run arcgis pro without any problems, can someone tell me what may be happening?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi @Luiz_FernandoOrtega

Sorry to hear that performance has dropped in recent weeks. Since you noted that it was fine and now it isn't, we might assume that something changed during that time - which is what Dan's questions are getting at. If you're working with the same projects, same data, stored in the same place, doing the same types of analysis/operations, then we might assume that something about your hardware or perhaps network (if that is how data is being accessed), or antivirus scanning has changed.

Here is a list that you could start working through:

Check the ArcGIS Pro System requirements and be sure to run "Can you run it" to ensure your machine meets or exceeds the minimum requirements.

Update GPU driver Since ArcGIS Pro uses your GPU to accelerate rendering, the first thing a user with ArcGIS Pro should do is update their GPU driver directly from the manufacturer (e.g. NVidia or AMD).  New driver releases not only fix bugs and increase stability, but also can give performance increases as well!  Note that “manufacturer” means the GPU vendor in the case of a desktop computer, but if you’re using a laptop computer, then you’ll need to get your driver updates from the manufacturer of the laptop itself.

*Note that if you have an AMD graphics card, follow the steps in this article How to Configure Laptop Switchable Graphics

If using a docking station to dock a laptop to external peripherals such as monitors, make sure that the dock’s drivers are up to date as well.
Laptop-specific power settings - If working on a laptop that is plugged in, changing the power options to High Performance can help to ensure that the GPU runs optimally.

There are also display settings that you can adjust to see if performance increases (but again, thinking about the comparison to when everything was performing for you, some of these settings may not need to be changed. As Dan pointed out, clearing the cache might help...)

Set display options

1. Navigate to Projects > Options > Display.
2. On the Display tab:

If you are still in need of troubleshooting assistance after following the above, it will likely require assistance from technical support.  

Please let us know the results of working through the steps above.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A common question.

• For new projects? or just existing ones?
  • For existing projects?
    • lots of graphics? layouts? maps?
    • all data stored locally?
    • connection to outside/non-local data sources
  • have your cleared out your caches?

That is just the start of the list since you indicate that your computer can run ArcGIS Pro.  However the ability to "run" Pro should have the caveat that it should exceed the Recommended specs on the link on this page

ArcGIS Pro 2.7 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

should you wish to do anything other than casually view a map

... sort of retired...
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Luiz - as Dan mentioned, this is a common question.  There is a related thread here that lists many things to try to increase ArcGIS Pro performance.  One thing to try is to contact Esri Support Services directly so an analyst can troubleshoot the software issue.  Their contact information is here.

0 Kudos
RockRunEnterprises
Occasional Contributor

Don't get the run around from these canned responses. There is certainly a larger issue at play here. 
I'm experiencing the same issues as yourself and many others. 

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

And there are lots that don't. 

Just trying to rule out what has been the root of many peoples issues... under nourished machines trying to work with data from slow servers with pigeon delivery in projects that have been used for multiple years without any purging.

Let the OP try the solutions proposed or describe your environment to see if yours resembles theirs.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
RockRunEnterprises
Occasional Contributor

I'm using 2.7 with all local data on NVMe SSDs, 32 core, 64GB, M4000. Maybe I'm too up to date on all of my updates... Like I said, the same projects that were fine a couple months ago have now lost basic functionality.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like mine... except I haven't seen any functionality loss, even my old projects.  I clean them out of geoprocessing stuff and caches on a regular basis and I don't keep layouts around.  If I need to keep a project with map stuff, I archive it to be returned to later. 

As for "functionality" what does that mean?  geoprocessing? data analysis? map making?

All are different and use different resources

Sometimes it is software, sometimes not.  It may be the "what" that is the key

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
RockRunEnterprises
Occasional Contributor

Overall using the program is what I'd call functionality. Everything works, but when It takes minutes to toggle, and load, instead what took seconds, that is loss of functionality.

Again, this doesn't makes sense when the only thing that has changed is the versions of Pro. I have maps to make and analysis to do, not systems to admin.

I'm not trying to take a simplistic view, but drastic changes in performance should have obvious explanations.

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That is what Tech Support is for, since there is "no obvious" when not everyone has the same experience.

What is needed is an online ESRI summary of the "issues found and solved  by doing X, Y, Z", then people could hop into their compartment(s) and see if their situation is similar to others with the same experience.

@Luiz_FernandoOrtega hope you are finding this informative 😉

... sort of retired...
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi @Luiz_FernandoOrtega

Sorry to hear that performance has dropped in recent weeks. Since you noted that it was fine and now it isn't, we might assume that something changed during that time - which is what Dan's questions are getting at. If you're working with the same projects, same data, stored in the same place, doing the same types of analysis/operations, then we might assume that something about your hardware or perhaps network (if that is how data is being accessed), or antivirus scanning has changed.

Here is a list that you could start working through:

Check the ArcGIS Pro System requirements and be sure to run "Can you run it" to ensure your machine meets or exceeds the minimum requirements.

Update GPU driver Since ArcGIS Pro uses your GPU to accelerate rendering, the first thing a user with ArcGIS Pro should do is update their GPU driver directly from the manufacturer (e.g. NVidia or AMD).  New driver releases not only fix bugs and increase stability, but also can give performance increases as well!  Note that “manufacturer” means the GPU vendor in the case of a desktop computer, but if you’re using a laptop computer, then you’ll need to get your driver updates from the manufacturer of the laptop itself.

*Note that if you have an AMD graphics card, follow the steps in this article How to Configure Laptop Switchable Graphics

If using a docking station to dock a laptop to external peripherals such as monitors, make sure that the dock’s drivers are up to date as well.
Laptop-specific power settings - If working on a laptop that is plugged in, changing the power options to High Performance can help to ensure that the GPU runs optimally.

There are also display settings that you can adjust to see if performance increases (but again, thinking about the comparison to when everything was performing for you, some of these settings may not need to be changed. As Dan pointed out, clearing the cache might help...)

Set display options

1. Navigate to Projects > Options > Display.
2. On the Display tab:

If you are still in need of troubleshooting assistance after following the above, it will likely require assistance from technical support.  

Please let us know the results of working through the steps above.

0 Kudos