Slow Editing in ArcMap 10.6

02-06-2018 03:09 PM
KeithBurdette1
New Contributor III

Anyone else having issues with editing in ArcMap 10.6?  Currently, my shop uses ArcMap 10.5.1 and I imported our existing template into 10.6.  Scrolling around works at a comparable speed but once I start and edit session, everything slows down.  Snapping is slow.  Mouse clicks response are slow.  Everything is slow.

In 10.5.1, we use the Attribute Assistant and Water Utility Network add-ins.  I've tried both the 3.1.2017 and 1.17.2018 versions of these tools and both are slow.

I tried a couple different methods to rebuild the templates and editing was still slow.

I've tried the steps on this blog post and nothing helped.

https://community.esri.com/groups/technical-support/blog/2012/06/07/troubleshooting-slow-performance... 

I've cleaned the map cache and set the geoprocessing results management to keep for less than a day.

I've started a ticket with ESRI but was curious to see how many other people were experiencing this problem too.

Tags (3)
68 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

On the machines with the 10.6 performance problems, are you using a new Normal.mxt or did you try using the Normal.mxt from 10.5.x?

0 Kudos
KeithBurdette1
New Contributor III

I saw this comment on a thread about slowness in 10.5.  For us, it isn't feasible to start anew by completely wiping all ESRI/ArcGIS programs from the computer.  We'd have to completely reinstall our ArcServers too which would then cause us to rebuild all the services we have.  Doesn't make sense to do this when everything works perfectly fine in 10.5.1.

0 Kudos
SkylerDewey
New Contributor III

Both, for us the computer with the new install of 10.6.  Both the older (mxds made in 10.5) and new mxds both worked.  We have made new mxds and tried that route, those work alright on the computers that had an upgrade to 10.6 from 10.5 but still really slow.

0 Kudos
CésarPires
New Contributor III

We are having the exact same problem with ArcMap 10.6. We have tryed heverything, build a new enterprise geodatabase from scratch with the exact same versions and the problem still there, everythin gets stuck wen editing. We are using SQL Server 2014.

0 Kudos
TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

What operating system are all of you using to run ArcDesktop?

0 Kudos
CésarPires
New Contributor III

I am using Windows 7 Professional SP1

KeithBurdette1
New Contributor III

I am on Windows 7 Enterprise SP 1

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

It does not look like this question has been asked, but what type of database including version are you using to store your SDE data (e.g. SQL Server, Oracle, other)?

0 Kudos
TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

Skyler Dewey‌...Are you also on Windows 7?  

And per the statement below, what exact workflow did you use to "repath the source"?

I have been able to edit slowly by repathing the source but that seems to be the only thing that worked for me."

0 Kudos
SkylerDewey
New Contributor III

Yes Windows 7 and service Pack 1 on all our PCs here.  

To  answer the repath question, just going to the source of the layer, properties, source - that was the method used.

0 Kudos