Select to view content in your preferred language

Set ArcGIS Pro to launch with specified license type?

Jump to solution
07-05-2023 03:54 PM
Nirby
by
New Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

I was wondering if anyone knows a way to set ArcGIS Pro to launch with a specified license type per user? Or if the behavior I'm noticing is possibly just a bug?

For example, I have an Advanced Named User License, but every time I open ArcGIS, it launches with a Basic Concurrent Use license by default. I then have to manually switch and restart ArcGIS every time. This wouldn't be so bad, except even after I switch, if I open another instance of ArcGIS Pro on my machine, it also defaults to Basic Concurrent use, and I can't switch that to Advanced because you can't switch license types with more than one instance running.

Effectively this means I can only use my advanced license on one project at a time, despite needing to have multiple projects open to maximize efficiency. I don't recall this behavior as always previously occurring, do other people experience this as well or just me? I'm on version 3.0.0

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

This is what I use and it works fine for me. Also Named user licencing is the default for ArcGIS Pro.

@Nirby is your computer managed by IT? Would they be forcing users to use the concurrent licencing by default? This is something you can do with registry keys and app settings, and would want to explore if you have a limited number of advanced licences.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
Nirby
by
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, thanks for the reply. 

No, this article just provides guidance for manually starting with a concurrent use license, the issue I am having is that ArcGIS is automatically starting with a concurrent use license rather than a named user license, which I would prefer. There is a similar help article for Starting ArcGIS Pro with a named user license, but it's the same thing - just outlines the process for switching manually, rather than configuring as a default. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The only other place I can think of is from the Licensing options in the project backstage.  I have never had to set or change it, but it might be worth a look for you.

licensing.png

... sort of retired...
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

This is what I use and it works fine for me. Also Named user licencing is the default for ArcGIS Pro.

@Nirby is your computer managed by IT? Would they be forcing users to use the concurrent licencing by default? This is something you can do with registry keys and app settings, and would want to explore if you have a limited number of advanced licences.

Nirby
by
New Contributor II

So yeah this is what I'm using to switch to my named user license after ArcGIS launches with the concurrent use, but the settings don't "stick" if that makes sense. It just defaults back to concurrent use with every new instance. 

You bring up a good point about checking the registry keys and app settings with IT, I'll look into that. I'm the only named user at my organization, so that might explain why it may be defaulting to concurrent. 

thank you

Nirby
by
New Contributor II

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-lock-licensing-options-in-arcgis-pro-000026114

Thank you @ChristopherCounsell , I found this help article which should help me get this fixed. 

Nirby
by
New Contributor II

@ChristopherCounsell To follow up, I was able to edit the registry settings here

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ESRI\ArcGISPro\Licensing

Changing the "SEAT_PREFERENCE" to a blank value rather than fixed or floating, got me what I needed, as it now defaults to asking me to sign in with my named user license. 

I did have to get my companies IT to create an exception to not change this setting on restart (was defaulting to the group policy settings), but we did it guys, thanks for all the input.  

ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks @Nirby . Just for the benefit of everyone else reading, you do NOT need to edit registry keys to have ArcGIS Pro do this licencing on startup. The user settings through the Pro interface will update the keys. We generally do not want to edit registry keys as it can break a lot of stuff.

The issue here is that IT was resetting the licence type to basic on PC restart. This is a good practice when you have a limited number of advanced licences and want to avoid users from hogging them. Some, like Nirby, can justify why they need adv licence permanently.

Glad you were able to get it working