Selection layer does not persist between projects/instances of Pro

Jump to solution
06-23-2022 08:47 AM
RichardHowe
Occasional Contributor III

Pro mimics the functionality of ArcMap in that you can drag and drop and copy/paste layers between projects/instances of the software and they retain their symbology/definition queries etc., which is really useful.

However, if you create a layer from a selection and try and copy or drag that to a different project/instance of Pro it forgets the selection and shows the whole layer again. Which is really frustrating! Surely this isn't by design? And I don't remember ArcMap behaving in this way dragging selection layers between MXDs.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi guys. I see what you're talking about, but to answer your question, Robert, I haven't see this reported before. I've brought it up internally and we can take a look. @RichardHowe like Robert indicated, you could submit this as an idea in the Pro idea exchange

Like I said, we'll look at this internally, but if you want something to track, submitting the idea will help with that. Thanks for raising this.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Richard - tested the "make layer from selected features" in ArcMap to create a selection layer and can confirm you that when you drag/drop it to another ArcMap instance, the new ArcMap instance honors the selection layer.  Tested the same workflow in ArcGIS Pro and as you mentioned, the second ArcGIS Pro instance "forgets" the selection layer and shows all features instead.  I scanned the ArcGIS Ideas page to see if this was already listed as an Idea and it appears not.  I'd recommend creating an ArcGIS Idea of this functional equivalency item to be addressed in a future update of ArcGIS Pro.

@KoryKramer - have you seen this before?

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi guys. I see what you're talking about, but to answer your question, Robert, I haven't see this reported before. I've brought it up internally and we can take a look. @RichardHowe like Robert indicated, you could submit this as an idea in the Pro idea exchange

Like I said, we'll look at this internally, but if you want something to track, submitting the idea will help with that. Thanks for raising this.

RichardHowe
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks guys. Glad I wasn't going mad :). I have listed it as an idea on the link below (in case anybody lands here first)

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/selection-layer-should-persist-when-copied-dragged/id...