Route Event Layers — Slow performance in ArcGIS Pro 2.9.12, but not in 2.6.8

Jump to solution
04-08-2024 06:53 AM
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

This is just a heads up to anyone using linear referencing Route Event Layers in ArcGIS Pro 2.9.12.

We found Route Event Layers to be extremely slow in 2.9.12 for no apparent reason (file geodatabase and Oracle 18c 10.7.1 EGDB). We don’t have this issue in ArcGIS Pro 2.6.8 or ArcMap 10.7.1.

• Opening an existing Project with Route Event Layers takes 10 minutes.
  • Creating a new layer using Make Route Event Layer takes 3.5 minutes.
  • Changing the symbology of a Route Event Layer takes 1.5 minutes.

Removing the geoprocessing history from the FC metadata (in the geodatabase, not the Project) did improve performance significantly. https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/gp-tool-to-clear-geoprocessing-history-from/idc-p/139... 

But unfortunately, it’s still not fast enough, not even when using data created from scratch for testing purposes. It takes 15 seconds just to change the color of lines in a Route Event Layer, which is painful. Especially when that was instantaneous in ArcMap and near-instantaneous in 2.6.8.

I don’t know if this issue has been fixed in modern versions of Pro like 3.2.2. I don’t have an environment to test in.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SSWoodward
Esri Contributor
4 Replies
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

When releasing a new version of Pro, benchmark GP tool execution times against previous version

"The specific issue you've brought up was introduced in Pro 2.9.6 and 3.1 and has been addressed in the coming release of ArcGIS Pro 3.3"

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

@SSWoodward 

In a separate post, you mentioned, "The specific issue you've brought up was introduced in Pro 2.9.6 and 3.1 and has been addressed in the coming release of ArcGIS Pro 3.3".

Do you happen to know what the bug number was for that issue?

0 Kudos
SSWoodward
Esri Contributor

BUG-000158798

Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Esri Case #03607243 - What kinds of event layers does BUG-000158798 pertain to?

The environment tested for this bug is SDE 10.8.1 with Oracle 19c where a route event was created. The tool used was "Create route event layer". The issue was also reproduced with data from SQL Server 2019. From the bug details, it looks like this will be fixed in ArcGIS Pro 3.3 (release date in May).

I got downgraded from 2.9.12 to 2.9.5 today. I can confirm the issue is not present in 2.9.5, so that's great.

0 Kudos