Select to view content in your preferred language

Requested operation could not be completed error when symbolizing

01-25-2019 08:16 PM
RandallClark2
Occasional Contributor II

Hello old friends,

In ArcGIS pro 2.3 when i attempt to symbolize using "Unique Values" on a feature class that is joined to table i get the "Requested operation could not be completed".

I get this error regardless if i am symbolizing on one field or two or in a field in the feature class or the table, however when i remove the join guess what?

It works!

Can ArcGIS Pro 2.3 not handle symbolizing when in a join is in place or am i missing something?

Capture 1.jpg - with join.

Capture 2.jpg - w/o join

Other notes:

Data is in a versioned enterprise sql database. 

15 Replies
RiainGarcia
New Contributor III

Still the same issue with ArcGIS Pro 2.8.1

ShannonJ
New Contributor III

I ran into the issue today, though I didnt have a join set up, the symbol was based on a field within the feature class.  when I grouped some new values with an existing symbol (I wanted these new symbols to have a similar symbology which contains a few layers to build) to save from re building the symbol from scratch 4 times. But when I ungrouped them I couldn't change the symbology, and now I cant remove those symbol classes. when I try to I get the "requested operation could not be completed" error. so frustrating!

this is in a feature class in a file geodatabase, not SDE. 

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor II

I'm running into this today with Pro 3.0. It's just a plain old shapefile, symbolized by two fields. I'm able to edit the first three classes that I added some time ago, but unable to change the symbology of a value I added recently. I've tried closing/reopening, copying to a different map, etc.

rburkebsrc_0-1656600391083.png

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor II

Alright - I think I found a solution for at least my case - that first heading that shows the longer field names? That came from the AGO version of the layer from which I imported symbology. The names are truncated in the .shp, obviously, and even though the symbology was referencing the truncated fields, the label of that heading was still showing up with the full names, and this was causing issues. I was unable to move or remove the "7, 0" class, but I could remove the heading and classes from the 3 dots. I then renamed the header with full names to the truncated names and re-added the value. It joined the first header and I am now able to modify the symbology, move it, remove it, etc.

rburkebsrc_0-1656602258619.png

0 Kudos
AndresMoreno
New Contributor II

Solved: Are you working inside a OneDrive folder maybe? This was the reason for me at least. My default ArcGIS Pro>Projects folder was inside OneDrive by default, and this was apparently the reason for this bug. Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
RogerDunnGIS
Occasional Contributor II

A coworker experienced this issue in ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5.  Although we weren't able to get to the bottom of the problem (the "why"), we were able to get around it.

1. We changed the Unique Values field from what it was (Field A) to some other random field (Field B)
  2. No error appeared, so we saved the project and exited ArcGIS Pro to start fresh
  3. When we reopened the project, ArcGIS Pro crashed with an optional error report.  We exited the report dialog
  4. When we reopened the project a second time, ArcGIS Pro didn't crash
  5. We changed the Unique Values field from what it was (Field B) to the original field (Field A)

And that solved it for us.

0 Kudos