Select to view content in your preferred language

Reduction in Esri imagery basemap resolution when changing coordinate system in ArcGIS Pro

04-02-2024 04:16 AM
FynnUnderwood
New Contributor

Hi all

When changing the coordinate system of my ArcGIS Pro project map from the default WGS 1984 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere) to GDA 1994, the resolution of the Esri imagery basemap (and Google Maps tiled service layer) declines drastically. To the point where the imagery is not really useable for outputting quality maps. The difference in resolution is most noticeable at a scale of ~1:30,000, but it is visible across all scales. I am aware that the Esri and google basemaps are wms and therefore use the WGS 1984 Web Mercator coordinate system, but wouldn't you expect with projection on the fly, that the imagery basemaps would be able to reproject with minimal impact on resolution?

I can't remember ever having this issue before,  I have also talked to past colleagues who are unable to replicate the issue and  I have been unable to find examples of anyone having similar issues online. I am currently using the most recent version of ArcGIS Pro (3.2.2).

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MicZatorsky_AEC
Occasional Contributor III

This is from my ArcGIS Pro v3.2.2, connected to ArcGIS Online, showing World Imagery basemap.

The map scale is 1:30,000

MicZatorsky_AEC_5-1712095185064.pngMicZatorsky_AEC_6-1712095200428.png
0 Kudos
FynnUnderwood
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply @MicZatorsky_AEC

With a bit of further investigation it seems to potentially be some sort of display issue in pro. The difference in quality is drastic in the map viewer as well as the layout viewer. However when I output maps the resolution seems to rectify (see images below). So it's not really an issue for outputting maps, but rather just off putting when using WGS 1984 Web Mercator basemaps in any other coordinate system.

Map outputs: 

WGS 1984 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere).jpgGDA1994.jpg

Project screenshots:project_WGS_1984_merc.png

Project_GDA1994.png