Select to view content in your preferred language

Rebuilding a locator removes it from the current project?

02-22-2024 07:57 AM
MatthewBeal
Occasional Contributor III

Is this intentional? Running the "Rebuild Locator" GP tool removes the locator from the current project. It does not appear to remove it from other projects, but this has me nervous now. I was looking to schedule the address locator for getting rebuilt once a week, but I do not want to do that if it is going to end up removing the locator from all of the users projects. 

2 Replies
DaleBoyett
New Contributor

We are having the same issue.  The locator drops from the project, and you must find it in the folder and re-add the locator before you can use it.  You can also right click on Locators and add it from there.

We are a 911 Addressing Team for 4 counties in Southeast Texas, so we regularly create new addresses.  Our custom address locator is built off of our Road Centerlines.  Sometimes when we are working a new address, we find that the road centerline needs editing.  So we update the address range on the Road Centerline and rebuild the address locator via a python script that simply calls the Rebuild Locator GP Tool and ensures that our additional fields are included in the locator.  The locator is then used to assign the correct address via another script that reverse geocodes the new point.

We are trying to make this seamless, but each time the locator is rebuilt, it has to be manually added back to the project.  I have been unable to find a programatic (python) way to add the locator back to the project.

0 Kudos
MatthewBeal
Occasional Contributor III

Yeah. This is really frustrating and I'm surprised there has been no other response and not prior mentions of this issue.