"Tool has failed to open" error in ArcGIS Pro

09-02-2018 03:41 PM
JohnNiles
New Contributor III

I am attempting to open the Profile tool in 2.2.1, but the tool does not open and I get the following error:

I have tried repairing the installation, but there was no change.

Anyone know what is going on? Difficult to evaluate software that doesn't work.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
IBWadmin
New Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro 2.3.1 is returning Tool has failed to open for Feature Class to Feature Class geoprocessing tool.Tool-has-failed-to-open-Geonet-Feature-Class-To-Feature-Class.jpg

My account has credits, should that be an issue for this tool. I've received this message after opening the tool from:

• Geoprocessing pane/Toolboxes/Conversion Tools/To Geodatabase
  • Geoprocessing pane/Favorites/Recent
  • Geoprocessing pane/Find Tools/[attempt tool launch from search result]

Is there a template file or a tool cache that needs to be reset in order to overcome this? 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Was this working in a previous version of Pro or is this your first foray into the Pro world?

0 Kudos
IBWadmin
New Contributor III

The tool was working in previous versions, and in 2.3.1. It showed in Geoprocessing pane/Favorites/Recent.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Whenever I see strange GP issues in AGP, one solution that comes to mind is to rename the ESRI folder in your C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\Roaming and C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\Local directory to Esri_Old.  Does the error persist?

IBWadmin
New Contributor III

Cheers, that clears the block and allows the tool to launch.

OvidioRivero
New Contributor III

I deleted the ESRI folder in both the Local and Roaming profiles to no effect. Anything else I should delete?   Should I restart the computer? 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

After you deleted the Esri folder in the Local/Roaming profiles, did the error persist?

0 Kudos
JulianInskip1
Esri Contributor

I was having the same issue with the Density-Base Clustering tool. I noticed I was using a clone of the python environment that I setup. When I changed it back to the default python environment, my tool became available again.

I found this only occures with the python tool and not the other GP tools.

tchaulla
New Contributor II

Thank you very much JulianInskip1, that solved the problem for me with the Average Nearest Neighbor tool.

For others:

Open project -> Click "Project" tab - > Python -> Manage Environments -> (then click on the original arcgispro-py3 environment and off the arcgis-py3-clone). Then restart ArcGIS Pro. That's what I did and it worked.

0 Kudos
CarolynMilland
New Contributor II

I'm having the same issue when trying to use the profile tool in AGP. do I need any particular add-ons for this? The above solution of renaming the local and roaming ESRI folder didn't work. I have an advanced licence but  not 3D analyst or Image Analyst and i'm wondering if that is the problem?

Error: Tool has failed to open: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcToolBox\Toolboxes\ReadyToUseServiceTools.tbx\Profile

0 Kudos