"Tool has failed to open" error in ArcGIS Pro

09-02-2018 03:41 PM
JohnNiles
New Contributor III

I am attempting to open the Profile tool in 2.2.1, but the tool does not open and I get the following error:

I have tried repairing the installation, but there was no change.

Anyone know what is going on? Difficult to evaluate software that doesn't work.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Your link is bad.. 

JohnNiles
New Contributor III

Dan - how about now?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

John are these the same tools?

Geoprocessing tools that use credits—Appendices | ArcGIS Desktop 

where you have to be logged in to AGOL and have permissions? and consume credits?

Find a geoprocessing tool—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop although these may be different

0 Kudos
JohnNiles
New Contributor III

1 credit per 1,000 input features

If there are 10 input lines, the cost will be 0.01 credits

Well, my initial positive experience with ArcGIS Pro just turfed out... Credits to run tools?? Seriously? 

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That is an AGOL thing... there are tools that do the same thing in Pro (depending on what you are doing) that you can do if you have the appropriate license.

For example the Profile graph tool....

Profile graph—Charts | ArcGIS Desktop 

doesn't use any credits... but you need the 3D analyst extension.

So some of these tools are made available on a credit-use basis compared to throwing a whole wad of $$$ upfront for an extension that you might rarely use.

Kind of like … do you buy a car to drive a couple of times in a year, or do you take taxis?

PetraFreund
New Contributor

I have the same Problem. For all my Pythonskripts (e.g. here: Einstieg) I get such a message.

If I try a second time , then it works. This happend with update of the Version ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1.

0 Kudos
CaitlinOlson
New Contributor III

I had the same issue, except I was trying to open the Quick Import tool in the Data Interoperability Toolbox. I have the license enabled. 

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Caitlin - have you installed the Data Interoperability extension for AGP?  It's an executable to run after the installation of AGP.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

As previously mentioned, some GP tools in the Cloud/Portal require Esri Service credits to run but most GP tools do not.  Extensions such as Spatial Analyst are licensed separately from AGP and provide additional GP tools with the extension.  With regard to your error message, I did find a related BUG that may explain what you're seeing.

BUG-000114051 : Ready To Use Tool in ArcGIS Pro fails to open with an error, "Tool has failed to open." when the Licensing Portal is set to Portal for ArcGIS.

Is your AGP licensing coming from Portal for ArcGIS?