Select to view content in your preferred language

"Locate" like tool in Model Builder

Jump to solution
04-26-2023 03:03 PM
EuropaxEarth
Regular Contributor

I'm just beginning to explore model builder and wanted to know how I can incorporate a "coordinate search" into the model.

I'm tasked with finding a specific property within a greater county parcel layer. I typically go to " locate", enter the exact lat/lon I receive, and go to "select by location" to extract the parcel that includes those lat/lon points. 

I'm curious to know how I may replicate that process in model builder where the input feature would be the county parcel layer and the output feature would be the specific property of interest. As of now, I'm uncertain of what geoprocessing tool resembles the locate feature.

I briefly looked into "Create Locator" but that identifies the address of a point location - I'd be interested in a polygon location.

I'm not quite sure that my ask is even possible so any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BarryNorthey
Frequent Contributor

Your workflow as I understand it might be better suited for a Task that can incorporate GP tools as well as controls such as Locate, etc., working through a series of steps. For example, the Task can start by opening Locate and prompting you to find the location you want, then export the candidate to a point feature, optionally zoom to that (selected) feature, then Select By Location on your parcel polygon layer, export that selected feature, or something like that. Steps can be run automatically or require user action, etc., depending on the nature of the step.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/tasks/whatistask.htm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BarryNorthey
Frequent Contributor

Your workflow as I understand it might be better suited for a Task that can incorporate GP tools as well as controls such as Locate, etc., working through a series of steps. For example, the Task can start by opening Locate and prompting you to find the location you want, then export the candidate to a point feature, optionally zoom to that (selected) feature, then Select By Location on your parcel polygon layer, export that selected feature, or something like that. Steps can be run automatically or require user action, etc., depending on the nature of the step.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/tasks/whatistask.htm

0 Kudos