Select to view content in your preferred language

Question on Creating a Locator

12-10-2021 12:39 PM
JoyetaChowdhury
New Contributor

Hi, I'm a bit new to ArcPro, and I've been having issues trying to use the locator tool. I'm working on this project where I'm trying to see if the distribution of public park locations are in a pattern that would correlate with historical redlining boundaries. I planned to use the optimized hotspot analysis tool for this. 

The main issue is that I have 222 locations I want to input along with their establishment year and acreage. I made a excel sheet with all of this information and I want to use the create locator tool, then the composite address locator, and then geocode the addresses, but I keep getting stuck at the primary table section as it won't accept the table I'm inputting (there's a geometry issue it says?) I think I'm inputting the primary table incorrectly, but I don't know what exactly I'm doing that is wrong. Is the process I chose incorrect?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Joyeta,

Could you be more specific about where you are getting stuck?  And possibly provide screenshots and maybe even a sample of the input table fields and attributes?  Also, which address locator type are you using?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
JoyetaChowdhury
New Contributor

Here's where I got stuck, I though having an excel sheet with the addresses would have worked. 

0 Kudos
DrVSSKiran
Occasional Contributor II

Please confirm whether you followed all the steps as mentioned in this link.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/create-a-locator.htm

If not, try to follow step by step and share the screenshot if you got stuck.

0 Kudos
JoyetaChowdhury
New Contributor

Hi, I did try this webpage earlier. I don't think I used the correct table for my primary table. The screenshots are below.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@JoyetaChowdhury The error you are getting is because you are using an Excel spreadsheet as the primary data, which needs to be a feature class (shapefile, file geodatabase, sde). If the data in the spreadsheet was exported from a feature class, you need to break up the string in the Address field into multiple fields that contain the individual address components (house number, street direction, street name, etc...). If you have ArcGIS Pro 3.0 or later you can use the Split Address Into Components tool, otherwise the Standardize Addresses tool is available in ArcGIS Pro 2.9 and earlier. Both tools output a new feature class and splits the address components into individual fields that are necessary to build a locator with the Create Locator tool.

The following tutorials are available, which should help you with creating the locator.

-Shana

0 Kudos