Problem with ArcGIS Pro failing to georeference when exporting to PDF

Jump to solution
08-15-2019 01:15 PM
HollandYoungman
New Contributor

I'm exporting maps from ArcGIS Pro as pdfs for use in the Avenza app. Recently, the maps are showing up as "not referenced" in that app - even though I'm specifying that the georeferencing be maintained when exported from Pro. I can make the same map in ArcMap, export it as a pdf and open it up in Avenza as a referenced map. Has anyone else been having this issue? Or care to share some advice? Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KeithStickwood
New Contributor

In order for Avenza Maps to be able to read the georeferencing, the "Output as Image" check box has to be unchecked on the export dialog (see screenshot). Avenza is aware of the issue and is working to address it.

Maintaining PDF georeferencing in ArcGIS Pro

View solution in original post

6 Replies
KeithStickwood
New Contributor

In order for Avenza Maps to be able to read the georeferencing, the "Output as Image" check box has to be unchecked on the export dialog (see screenshot). Avenza is aware of the issue and is working to address it.

Maintaining PDF georeferencing in ArcGIS Pro

HollandYoungman
New Contributor

Thank you! That worked

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you very much. It worked for me as well. 

I unchecked output as image, changed image compression to adaptive and checked export georeferenced information. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having the same issue after updating to ArcGIS Pro 2.6.2, and get the error "could not read PDF referencing" in Avenza. Output as image is not selected.

JoshuaOneill
New Contributor

I was having similar issues with a really large map (large file size ~30mb). 

Checking "Compress vector graphics" seemed to work for me. 

Good luck!

LukeWestphal
New Contributor

Checking "Compress vector graphics" also worked for me.  I already had unchecked "Output as image" and was still getting "could not read PDF referencing" on Avenza.  Thanks for solving my problem!

0 Kudos