Pro to AGOL Symbology Filter - In Symbology Pane

11-21-2022 06:15 AM
Labels (1)
JessicaJThompson
Occasional Contributor II

Good Morning,

I am wondering if there is a way to filter only AGOL compatible symbology for webmaps. According to the documentation (FAQ: What are the symbology considerations when publishing to ArcGIS Online? (esri.com) ) What I published should be working, but it is not coming through. - This is published directly from my Pro (3.0.2) to AGOL organizational account using 2 attributes.

JessicaJThompson_0-1669040346644.png

Below are the two differences in symbology. 

JessicaJThompson_0-1669039807046.png

JessicaJThompson_1-1669039923425.png

And WebMap viewer doesn't give me the option of changing the symbology... maybe because it is using 2 attributes for the symbology? Not sure. I am going to continue to tinker, but I feel like I might be missing a key piece of information that makes accomplishing this easier. 

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

Jessica

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanielMiranda2
Occasional Contributor

The documentation here goes in depth on what is not supported in feature layers: 24082: Layer's symbol will be downgraded—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation. I believe "unique value symbology based on multiple fields" is your problem, though I do not know why some points and not others were changed.

I do not think there is a way to filter out symbology not supported in feature layers. However, one way to get around this is to share your layer from Pro as a Web Map rather than a feature layer. You have to uncheck the box "Use symbol types compatible with all clients." Then, Pro will create a feature layer, put it on a web map, and use the symbology you selected in Pro. The layer will only be symbolized that way on the individual web map. If you add the feature layer to another web map, it will have the downgraded symbology. Share a web map—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Multi field Types styling is not supported in Map Viewer yet. It is planned for early 2023, this will also include grouping values as well.

For supporting compatible symbols - The symbols you publish with that option unchecked in Pro most cases will come across with no issue when viewed in a 4.x JSAPI web app ( Map Viewer, Experience Builder, Dashboards and Instant Apps) these will also work off of the latest runtime apps.

Deep dive these symbols are written into the web map under the CIM spec which is what the new symbol styler uses as well so the symbols you use in Map Viewer will also come across into pro with the same symbol layers. 

0 Kudos
JessicaJThompson
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you for the information @RussRoberts & @DanielMiranda2! I genuinely appreciated you sharing.

Due to some other reasons I cannot publish as a web map. I will try some work arounds... until Map Viewer catches up. 

Also - another fun quirk, the symbology is working on the web map correctly, but not in the web map legend. So I may be able to get by with it since it is for an internal assessment and not for the public. 

Cheers,

Jessica