Pro print to pdf black and white option not working

02-15-2023 04:59 PM
AndrewWallick
Occasional Contributor

We have parcel maps we need in black and white. Since I believe the Export Layout does not have this option, we have tried using the "Print Layout" button with the "Print in black and white" button checked. But when printing using Microsoft Print to PDF, the pdf still comes out with color. We then have to open the pdf, print to pdf from inside Adobe, and choose black and white there.

Has anyone else seen this issue, or have a workaround?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kepa
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hello @AndrewWallick,

Not sure if it's a bug or if it's related to the print engine your using to create the PDF. In my case I managed to print it in black and white only with the Adobe PDF virtual printer driver. doPDF and MS PDF seem to ignore the Print in black and white option (although I use an old version of doPDF, have to try a newer one).

Snipaste_2023-02-16_08-19-06.png

Snipaste_2023-02-16_08-23-02.png

Regards,

Edit: the more I dig into this issue the more certain I am it's PDF virtual driver's limitation.

0 Kudos
temprobertcottreau131313
Occasional Contributor II

try exporting to a PDF and then using your local printer settings to print to black and white

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi! 

So Microsoft Print to PDF doesn't support black and white printing. It's a limitation of the printer service. Ideally you shouldn't be able to check that if the printer doesn't support black and white printing. There's a bug for that you can follow here: https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDEyOTY2OQ==

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
AndrewWallick
Occasional Contributor

If Microsoft Print to PDF doesn't support black and white printing, then how is it I can use that printer service to print black and white when I start with a color pdf in Adobe Acrobat Reader?

0 Kudos