PRO Fails to Close or Save (2.9.5)

Jump to solution
04-25-2023 08:52 AM
Labels (1)
GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

Good morning PRO community,

One of our users is experiencing odd behaviors on PRO 2.9.5 since yesterday. Their ArcGIS PRO app is either slow or fails to close and hangs up attempting to close after some regular edits. This morning it has progressed to crashing and now is presenting a new graphic error I am unfamiliar with. The steps leading up to this are normal daily work on a project, save edits and save project. Once saved the project is closed using the top right X close window (Windows 11 PRO on a Dell machine), and then PRO fails to respond and this is the first presentation of the error/problem. 

Screen greys out and an empty box appears.

JansenLyons_0-1682437506007.png

After about five minutes give or take (Hard to say if it is exactly the same after each attempt) the saving project icon flickers in and out of this small box in the grey-ed out PRO as you can see below. However, even with the Saving Project appearing in and out, the app does not save nor does it close.

JansenLyons_1-1682437583706.png

So far it is limited to one machine but other machines have had somewhat similar slow or unfamiliar behavior. Once the project or app has remained suspended for some time it has to be forced closed if it fails to save and a short backtrack of work ensues. We are working on a branch versioned database and thankfully have not had version conflicts crop up yet while this is occurring. If anyone has a post they know helps to resolve this or ideas how to fix the users PRO or machine I'm interested in finding the solution. The regular checks for licensing, updates, connection, restarting or re-installing do not change this yet but haven't tried the more in depth checks yet in case it is a simple fix.

Best regards,

Jansen

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Whenever I see "strange behaviors" in ArcGIS Pro, I rename the ESRI folder to ESRI_OLD in 2 directories.  One is in the C:\<users>\appdata\local and C:\<users>\appdata\roaming - try this on the single machine that is having the Save issue.  What is the result?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Whenever I see "strange behaviors" in ArcGIS Pro, I rename the ESRI folder to ESRI_OLD in 2 directories.  One is in the C:\<users>\appdata\local and C:\<users>\appdata\roaming - try this on the single machine that is having the Save issue.  What is the result?

GIS_Fox

Hi @Robert_LeClair , I'll give this a try and see what PRO does in response. Thank you.

0 Kudos
GIS_Fox

Hi @Robert_LeClair , the user experiencing the issue reports that Pro is still a bit laggy but the program is closing now after the rename and after clearing some cache issues. I will be investigating further what else we can perform or try to improve their experience. Otherwise your suggestion works and has helped us for sure. Thank you & best regards,

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Your'e welcome @GIS_Fox  - glad it worked out for your user.  With regard to ArcGIS Pro being somewhat laggy, I'd recommend reviewing this Esri Community posting and using some of the workflows there to increase performance.  Best regards!