Pro destroys my graphics card

07-31-2018 10:26 AM
Douglas_Sauer
New Contributor III

Trying my darnedest to migrate majority of work from Map to Pro (2.2.0) but it's giving me grief.

More than 6 times now over the past 2 weeks some inconsequential move/change completely cripples my machine, hogs 100% of resources, crashes the graphics cards, and leaves me totally dead in the water.

This morning I tried to bump up legend box dimension: TOAST

Yesterday, I tried to change a poly symbol fill: DEAD

Last week: hey i think i'll move this map title element: BOOM!!!! 

More coffee breaks and frustration; way less productivity and confidence.

Prop me back up... Any thoughts/experience?

Rendered useless,

Douglas

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Douglas_Sauer
New Contributor III

Yup. All projects imported mxds. will test a fresh start w. lyr files.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Just noticed an update to Pro notice.

What changes were made?

Perhaps some of the issues were addressed, but there is no indication in the help about what was done.

Maybe I will hold off updating until the changelog appears

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Dan, the topic Release notes for ArcGIS Pro 2.2 includes issues addressed at ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1 at the top.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Saw them... nothing on there that has been a huge topic of discussion on GeoNet since 2.2 came out.  

I am sure that those issues are well known, so I won't reiterate here.

0 Kudos
LR
by
Occasional Contributor III

I've had plenty of instances of Pro telling me my 8GB GTX 1080's resources were exceeded, while GPU-Z's log showed nothing of that. So don't expect all of your problems to disappear when you pop in a new graphics card - it's Pro being Problematic.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

LR, we'd like to know more. 

There are two warnings -  "excessive draw requests" warning that essentially means too many draw requests are made - sometimes this is due to the symbol assigned to the layer for example.

Are you getting "GPU resources exceeded" or "Excessive Draw Requests" warnings?  

If you've got an example (you could create a map or project package from Share tab) to send to technical support we'd be interested to see it - so please send it in so we can get a developer on it.

0 Kudos
LR
by
Occasional Contributor III

So far it has always been the resources message. I don't have a project handy atm, I did make a thread about one instance of the error a while ago however: https://community.esri.com/thread/204816-pro-keeps-throwing-wrong-gpu-resource-errors-how-to-stop-th... 

0 Kudos