Select to view content in your preferred language

Pro 3.1 - Use .ttf file to add custom shields to label symbols

Jump to solution
09-29-2023 01:14 PM
KeithAddison1
Occasional Contributor III

I have a .ttf file that contains custom road sign shields for my area.  I need to load it into the label symbology so that the symbol is used in the same way as the default shields. (ie I need to see the label contents inside the shield symbol)  I did this in Map easily, but can't figure out how to do it in Pro.  I've added the .ttf font to the Windows fonts installed, but that doesn't seem to help me use it as a symbol for labels like it did in Map.  Can this be done in Pro?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JesseWickizer
Esri Contributor

In order to create a road shield or similar similar label with a custom font marker behind the label, start by adding a Point symbol callout to the Symbol.

JesseWickizer_1-1696255407289.png

Next, click the Point symbol menu and select Format point symbol...

JesseWickizer_2-1696255471071.png

In the Formatted Embedded Point Symbol pane, open the Layers tab and click the Font... button.

JesseWickizer_3-1696255622738.png

The Choose a character dialog box will open - locate your font and select the desired road shield symbol. 

JesseWickizer_4-1696255773435.png

View solution in original post

ThomasHoman

Have you looked in the esri styles for Pro https://esri-styles.maps.arcgis.com/home/index.html 

They might have it already done.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JesseWickizer
Esri Contributor

In order to create a road shield or similar similar label with a custom font marker behind the label, start by adding a Point symbol callout to the Symbol.

JesseWickizer_1-1696255407289.png

Next, click the Point symbol menu and select Format point symbol...

JesseWickizer_2-1696255471071.png

In the Formatted Embedded Point Symbol pane, open the Layers tab and click the Font... button.

JesseWickizer_3-1696255622738.png

The Choose a character dialog box will open - locate your font and select the desired road shield symbol. 

JesseWickizer_4-1696255773435.png

KeithAddison1

Thanks, got it working.  Took forever to get the options right so it looked good.  Somehow it's more confusing than the way ArcMap did it.

0 Kudos
ThomasHoman

Have you looked in the esri styles for Pro https://esri-styles.maps.arcgis.com/home/index.html 

They might have it already done.

0 Kudos