Pro 2.9.2 crashing when clicking on a symbol or opening the symbology window

Jump to solution
09-22-2022 01:45 PM
PiperMcKinnon1
New Contributor III

Starting mid-day today all users in our organization are experiencing crashes of Pro 2.9.2 when we attempt any interaction with symbology, whether by clicking in the Contents pane or opening the Symbology pane. We have tried some fixes found in older posts and bug reports, including changing the rendering engine to OpenGL, clearing the display cache and running a repair, all to no avail. We will look into whether there have been OS or network changes next, but are wondering if anyone else is seeing this issue appear.

104 Replies
Ivbolen
New Contributor II

I hope you fixed the problem!

Kory Kramer here posted a link with all the needed solutions. In our case, we had the latest NET framework installed, yet I was affected but my colleague was not. I installed the latest patch (2.9.5) and all works well now. I tend to wait till the new version makes at least a couple of updates before switching. Arc GIS is a sensitive thing, and my projects are too complex to having to fix them if anything goes wrong 🙂

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We are having the same problem. Is Esri going to fix this soon?

Daniel_Schmidt
Esri Contributor

Can you try updating your .NET framework to 4.8.1?

0 Kudos
WorcesterGTSS
Occasional Contributor

I'm having the same problem in 2.9.1. It started last Friday (9/23).

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having the same issue in 2.9.0. No matter how the symbology pane is opened, the project crashes. Tried creating new projects from scratch, adding new data, and updating the symbology on just one feature class, and it still caused Arc Pro to crash.

Daniel_Schmidt
Esri Contributor

We are working on isolating the cause of this issue.  If some of you can provide more environment-specific details such as:

• OS versions and KBs
  • Physical or VM
    • If VM what type?

As of now, we are unable to reproduce this issue internally.

0 Kudos
EmilyHildebrand
New Contributor II

Hey Daniel, 

I am running 2.9.3 in Pro on a Virtual machine called citrix hosted by Rok Technologies, they see nothing on their end causing this issue and pointed me to contact ESRI. my OS version is 64 bit

0 Kudos
Daniel_Schmidt
Esri Contributor

Thanks Emily.  What anti-virus are you using? 

0 Kudos
WorcesterGTSS
Occasional Contributor

Our team has been investigating the issue and believe it is tied to Windows updates that were installed last week: KB5017308 and KB5017499. At this point we don't know which one though. 

0 Kudos
Daniel_Schmidt
Esri Contributor

Thanks - what anti-virus are we using?  Are all display drivers up-to-date?  Do we see the issue reproducing if we disable any anti-virus software?

0 Kudos