Possible to prevent ArcGIS Pro from automatically applying datum transformations?

08-05-2020 05:36 PM
VinceE
by
Occasional Contributor II

I'd prefer ArcGIS Pro not decide what transformations are best to apply, and would like to receive the same warning that I did in ArcGIS Desktop when adding data of different coordinate reference systems. Is there a setting somewhere to turn off the automatic application of the first transformation from Esri's dropdown list. I'd prefer to force the user to manually go in and set one. It appears possible to toggle a warning message that a transformation has been automatically applied, but not prevent the transformation from being applied in the first place.

This is particularly relevant when transforming between various realizations of NAD83 within a specific state, where the first choice is often a generalized transformation involving WGS84, versus a state-specific grid-method that is superior.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Vince Edwards This has come up before...

It says it sets it automatically

But!  What if a warning will raise a flag

If none of this helps... then ArcGIS Ideas‌ would be the place to promote your case.

... sort of retired...
VinceE
by
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Dan, this is what I suspected. I don't mind "Project" doing this, as the user should probably know what they're getting into if they go to use that tool. Turning on the warning flag in Pro is sort of a start, but I believe the message is something like "Don't worry, we applied a transformation for you!" which is not helpful when the software inherently applies a sub-par transformation. In ArcGIS Desktop, it would raise a flag and NOT fix the issue, forcing the user to sort it out.

Off to the ArcGIS Ideas board. Thanks again!

0 Kudos