Polygons and arc curves - unexpected behavior

08-21-2019 08:32 AM
deleted-user-K9U1SzFzl3f7
New Contributor III

Hi, 

While digitizing in ArcPro 2.4.1, I've noticed some unexpected behavior while creating polygons using straight lines and arc curves. 

Not sure what is the problem here, as it appears to be inconsistent behavior. The image attached will demonstrate the particular problem I'm having when the arc curve option creates a huge backwards arc segment that is entirely unnecessary. I just need to be able to place the middle and end point continuing along the curve. I can't figure out the order of operations that could be causing this problem, and I've tried several different methods. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brandon,

I can't reproduce, so I have some questions:

1. Which arc construction tool are you using?
  2. Version of Pro?
  3. Can you provide a video of your workflow? This would be very helpful for us to understand
  4. If not, perhaps you can describe the exact workflow so I can try to reproduce? If not, please consider reaching out to Esri Technical Support to show them your workflow.

Here's what using the Arc Segment construction tool looks like while creating similar to geometry as your screenshot:

More info on these construction tools to create curves:

Create circular arcs—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop

Create tangent circular arcs—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Please let me know,

Thanks!

Scott

0 Kudos
deleted-user-K9U1SzFzl3f7
New Contributor III

I'm thinking it likely has to do with creating a polygon in arc mode, undoing the first vertex because it should be a line,  switching to line mode, continuing to digitize, and then as soon as an arc is needed when switching to the arc it creates the huge unnecessary circle.  

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brandon,

I tried those steps, including undoing after creating a line segment but so far, I can't seem to reproduce. Assuming you are using Arc Segment in the screenshot, it looks like you switched to the Arc Segment construction tool and somehow the first point where the curve passes through was already set somehow and that's the mystery.

1. Which arc construction tool are you using? (Arc Segment, End Point Arc Segment, Tangent Curve Segment)
  2. Is it easy for you to reproduce?
  3. If you get into that state again, can you try hitting Escape to see if takes you back to being able to set the first point of the arc.
  4. What version of Pro are you using?

Thanks for any further details!

Scott

0 Kudos