Select to view content in your preferred language

POI Locator shows 2 results when there should be 1

Jump to solution
01-03-2023 03:21 PM
TimHayes3
Occasional Contributor

I have created a Locator in ArcGIS Pro. It is for building Ids. I have 150 buildings each with a unique ID number. I want the user to be able to type in the building number and the map will zoom to the building. The role I use is POI. This works good. 

But, the output shows 2 results, one is the building ID, building name, building address, and city. The other is a strange number (example: 10SEG6515) that when clicked on takes me to a far away place no where near any of the buildings or the city. In the Create Locator, for Place Name (required for POI role) I use the LOC_ID field, which is the building ID the user would have typed in. 

Question: how do I set up the Locator (POI role I assume) so it does not show the strange number I highlighted in yellow in the image (shown next to "B"): 

City Facilities Locator 2 results.JPG

Here are the parameters I used for the Create Locator:

City Facilities Locator 2 Create Locator Parameters.JPG

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasHoman
Occasional Contributor III

If you right click on the offending element (I'm on Pro 3.0.3) you can select Show Details so see what comes up. In my case searching for a partial parcel number provided the defined locator enough information to generate a valid MGRS coordinate number relevant to the area of the locator but completely and absolutely unrelated to the object being searched for. The answer involves tuning your locator just a hair.

ThomasHoman_0-1672815104333.png

To correct this check out https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/tips-for-improving-geocoding-quality.ht... What you want to dive into is the Geocoding Options -> Categories to Support of your defined locator. By changing to 'Only categories selected here' and reviewing what you actually want to receive back you can suppress the MGRS and other undesired results.

Hope this helps

Tom

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasHoman
Occasional Contributor III

If you right click on the offending element (I'm on Pro 3.0.3) you can select Show Details so see what comes up. In my case searching for a partial parcel number provided the defined locator enough information to generate a valid MGRS coordinate number relevant to the area of the locator but completely and absolutely unrelated to the object being searched for. The answer involves tuning your locator just a hair.

ThomasHoman_0-1672815104333.png

To correct this check out https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/tips-for-improving-geocoding-quality.ht... What you want to dive into is the Geocoding Options -> Categories to Support of your defined locator. By changing to 'Only categories selected here' and reviewing what you actually want to receive back you can suppress the MGRS and other undesired results.

Hope this helps

Tom