Overwrite map service on Portal from Pro

12-13-2019 04:29 AM
MarkCooper5
Occasional Contributor II

We are trying to overwrite a map service that we have published from ArcGIS Pro (2.4) to our server (10.7.1) but the option to overwrite is not there. Having read the instructions at Overwrite a map service—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop , it specifically says:

"You can overwrite a map service that has been published to a stand-alone ArcGIS Server 10.6 or later." 

As this referes to a stand-alone server, and our server is feredated to our Portal, is this the reason the option does not appear?

If so does anyone know a way round this other than deleting and republishing the service? The two options I have thought are:

1. Publishing from ArcMap, which does allow the service to be overwritten - I would rather not go down this route as it will only push the problem down the line to when ArcMap is no longer an option!

2. Unfederating the server - I am aware this has implications and I may lose existing service (there are only 3 so its not an issue!). I have done this before and am thinking it may be the best option, unless anyone else can think of a better one.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
15 Replies
JacobHelfman
New Contributor

Have you tried stopping the service and then see if you can follow the steps here?: Overwrite a map service—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
SusanTran
Esri Contributor

Hi Mark,

Overwriting map image layers to Enterprise portals with federated servers is supported from Pro and does not require deleting/re-publishing.  

To overwrite a map image layer published to a federated server on Enterprise portal, you'll need to sign into your Enterprise portal and use 'Overwrite Web Layer' which can be found on the Share ribbon (click on the web layer drop-down to find it). Please see this documentation: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/sharing/overview/overwrite-a-web-layer.htm.

Overwriting map services on stand-alone servers is also supported if your stand-alone server is 10.6 or later. There's a different workflow for overwriting map services published to stand-alone servers.

For stand-alone servers, you'll need to make a publisher (or admin) ArcGIS Server Connection to your server > Right-click on the map service > Overwrite. For more info, see this documentation: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/sharing/overview/overwrite-a-map-service.htm. If you were to follow these steps for a federated server, you wouldn't see the Overwrite command as you noted.

Hope this helps. Please note it's not necessary and also not recommended to unfederate your
server from Portal to overwrite. Pro also doesn't rely upon the presence of .sd files for overwriting workflows. 

Thanks and please message again or reach out to support if you continue to run into issues overwriting. 

DanDeegan
New Contributor III

What do we need to change to make this feature work in Pro? Publishing to the same server in ArcMap works. 

0 Kudos
SusanTran
Esri Contributor

Hi Dan,

You should be able to follow the steps in the aforementioned documentation (for map image layers on Enterprise: Overwrite a web layer—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop; for map services on stand-alone server: Overwrite a map service—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop ). Outside of the steps outlined in the documentation, no changes are necessary to make things work. 

However, since it's not working for you, here are some troubleshooting questions that pertain only to the stand-alone server workflow. I'm assuming from your previous comments that you're trying to overwrite a map service on a stand-alone server, is that right? 

-Can you confirm that your stand-alone server is version 10.6 or later and the connection type is publisher or admin level?

-Are you able to publish new map services to the stand-alone server from Pro?

-When you mention in your above comments that you can't overwrite, do you mean that you don't see an overwrite button when you right-click the map service from the server connection, or that you go through the overwrite workflow and it eventually fails? 

-If the workflow eventually fails, are there messages in the server log?

Thanks, hopefully we'll get this sorted out. Since what you're experiencing is not as designed, this is a case where contacting Support would provide the best assistance. 

DanDeegan
New Contributor III

We are trying to overwrite a map image service on a federated server. Using the Overwrite web layer button in the Share pane, and choose the map image service. We don't create a tile cache. 

We can publish without issues to the hosting server for everything else. In ArcMap we can still overwrite map image services.

I will need to reproduce the error to get you the exact output, but it creates the service definition and then fails to overwrite it. The service is stopped, and that's it. We have to delete the service to update it. Or stop it, overwrite the data, and restart it. 

Errors from Pro

StatusMessage: Uploading service definition

TestMapImageService 75 WebMapImageLayer Douglas County GIS Portal https://server /user name 2020-01-14 10:29:29

Status: Failed StatusMessage: Failed to publish web layer ErrorMessage: Failed to publish web layer

from the hosting server:

SEVEREJan 14, 2020, 10:29:14 AMFailed to rename cache folder.Douglas/TestMapImageService.MapServer
0 Kudos
Jay_Geisen
New Contributor III

Just to clarify, are we still not able to overwrite map services from Pro to a federated Portal? 

0 Kudos