Overlaying features on a drone photo...

Jump to solution
07-13-2022 03:00 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have what seems to me to be a relatively simple task but I can't seem to figure out a solution...  

I have a number of images I took with a drone...  Most were taken between 50-100' above ground level, with a tilt of approx 20 degrees.  Drone used was a Mavic Air 2 and it seems to have captured all of the relevant information needed to process the photo.  

What I'd LIKE to do is take that image, and overlay relevant features (area of interest for instance) on that photo in the correct location.  

Geotagged photos to points only gets me the points where the photos were taken...  

Ortho mapping doesn't seem to process the imagery correctly, and probably is not the right tool for what I'm looking to do.  

I've attached a sample photo of what I'm using and I have a 50' corridor I'm trying to display on the image, in the correct location...  

Any and all thoughts/comments/tips/tricks are appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor

Hello @Anonymous User It looks like Orientated Imagery Catalogue (OIC) is what you are after.  This provides coverage polygons and puts the photos in place. See Imagery Workflows  which descibes how to implement the OIC and the tools you can use to implement. The following page provides examples for you to look at.  

Cheers

Gordon

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JustinJohnston
Occasional Contributor II

Unfortunately, ArcGIS I don’t believe does what you are trying to do. You need photogrammetry software.  ESRI has Drone2Map which is $1500 annual license. You can check out my company website for a primer.  There are a number of software packages that can do what you want. Some have free trials, some require you to use their app for the flight.  https://bigpineconsultants.com/service/drone-services/

Good luck!

cheers,

Justin

0 Kudos
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor

Hello @Anonymous User It looks like Orientated Imagery Catalogue (OIC) is what you are after.  This provides coverage polygons and puts the photos in place. See Imagery Workflows  which descibes how to implement the OIC and the tools you can use to implement. The following page provides examples for you to look at.  

Cheers

Gordon