Opening a tpk in ArcGIS Pro

03-22-2017 06:17 PM
MattFlowerday
New Contributor II

I have a tpk that I authored using ArcGIS Pro 1.4. I am able to open this in ArcMap 10.4.1 with no problems. However, I can't seem to get it to load in a map within Pro!

I locate the tpk within the folder, right click and select 'Add to new map', or 'Add to current map' but nothing happens. No error message, and the layer is not added to any map. Using a 'click and drag' method to try to add to an existing map doesn't work either, whether I drag into the map frame or the Table-of-Contents.

I wondering if the issue is the tpk itself, or something to with Pro. Would be interested to hear if anyone else experiences anything similar.

In ArcMap, I can see the spatial reference is correctly set as WGS 84.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I haven't used them... particularly in PRO, but there is an extract package option which may be worth a try, but I would be interested in knowing why map and pro would differ in this respect

0 Kudos
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

You can add the TPK as a layer in ArcMap and save a layer file from it, then you can add the lyr file in ArcGIS Pro so that it can use the local TPK.

It surprise me that I can't add TPK directly in ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In Pro 1.4.1 - "Tile packages (TPK) can be created in ArcGIS Pro ( supported as inputs and outputs in geo-processing tools) but not opened or added to an ArcGIS Pro project. What can and cannot be opened in ArcGIS Pro is listed here http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/projects/supported-data-types-and-items.htm However you can inspect the created tile package (TPK) by extracting it using the Extract Package (Data Management) tool in ArcGIS Pro."

Not sure if this will change in ArcGIS Pro 2.0.

TylerSchwartz2
Occasional Contributor II

The workaround that I found is to take the TPK file and Extract it using a program such as 7-Zip.  Within that extracted folder should be a folder "v101".

If you navigate to that folder using "Add Data" in ArcGIS Pro, you should see a raster image within that "v101" folder.  Add that to your map and your tile package should now be visible.  This worked for me (your results may vary).  This is using ArcGIS Pro 2.1

Not sure why TPK files aren't supported in Pro (yet we have a tool available to create them) when there is such as simple workaround for it - youd think this would be supported!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Tile Packages are supported in ArcGIS Pro 2.1 - working with a Release Candidate of Pro 2.1 and just added a *.tpk to a new Map.

BenjaminWestley
New Contributor

I'm working in ArcGIS Pro 2.8.2 and have just created a Map Tile Package (TPK) with the "Export Tile Cache" tool but cannot open or view the TPK file in Pro.  Sounds like this was fixed in Pro a good while ago but I still get error messages saying TPK is an unsupported file type.  I tried TylerSchwartz2's suggestion but only found a png raster thumbnail with horrendous resolution and unknown coordinate system.  Would like to be able to view my TPKs and make sure they came out ok before sending them to the customer.  Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

0 Kudos