Only show labels that fit within polygons in ArcPro?

Jump to solution
10-11-2019 08:05 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would like the polygon you see here to NOT have a label, because one cannot fit within it at this scale. This was accomplished in ArcMap with both the maplex engine and the default, but I cannot get it to work with ArcGIS Pro.

I have turned off outside polygon placement and set a boundary weight of 1000. This is not sufficient, apparently, and I don't see a "Only display label if it fits fully within polygon" option. Am I missing something?

Thank you,

Randy McGregor

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

try using overrun.

another thing to try is minimum feature size.

mark

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

try using overrun.

another thing to try is minimum feature size.

mark

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks! The first one didn't work, but I appreciate the suggestion. I haven't tried the second, but I think there should be a way to just tell the labels to not go outside of their respective polygons. 

MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Randy,

I wonder why it's not working for you.

I have shared a layer package here: https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=20ad6e00bc6c4a4da3faf8ec21aa248e 

with similar data to what you shared in your screenshots, and it works for me.  ArcGIS Pro 2.4

Mark

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Randy - you switch from the Maplex Labeling engine to the Standard Labeling engine from the Labeling contextual tab->Map group, then you can check the "Only place label inside polygon" option for polygons.  Not sure why it's not as easy using Maplex.

Hope this helps!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. I'll try that. I was hoping to avoid it, but I think I have no choice

CiaraRowland-Simms
Esri Contributor

Hi Randy,

Would you be able to check whether you have never remove checked on? Never remove will mean your label will place even if the label engine is unable to find a good position for it:

If not, would it be possible for you to send over a layer package or layer file so we can try to get to the bottom of it? 

Thanks!

Ciara