Select to view content in your preferred language

One-to-One Join by States only joining Wyoming

Jump to solution
10-20-2022 10:25 AM
Craig_Eissler_Iceman
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I have several students (but not all) who are attempting to do a very basic one-to-one join of US States with a simple Census demographic table, using the 'Name' field in each -- which of course is the State name. The result is only one match; Wyoming.

The data looks fine to me, and both 'Name' fields are "Text". However, I do notice that both of those are  "indexed" as indicated by the asterisk (*).

See attached Geodatabase.

Could that be the problem? If not, what else should we check?
p.s. I tried to remove that index, but it didn't work, or I'm not doing it correctly

Thanks, Craig E.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Interesting. I just tried that and it worked for me, as well! ...hmmm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am not having any issues joining the two layers together with the name fields. Are your students creating an in-map join, or running an actual geoprocessing tool? If the latter, do those students have a record selected when running the tool?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

This is an online class, so I don't actually see them performing this. However, my guess is that they're using the Join tool from Contents - if that's what you mean by "in map"..?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes, you can join features just in a map, which is different from creating a join using a geoprocessing tool.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

How is it different?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The output of Add Join is temporary, and can be removed without modifying the input tables. Join Field and Join Features can either alter the input or create a new output layer with the joined attributes / features. The latter two can also accidentally run on a subset of features if you have rows in either input selected when you run it.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

...OK, but this is not the same tool. So, yes, we're only talking about doing an 'Add Join' -- whether you activate it from Contents or the Geoprocessing Toolbox

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Right, so that's why I was checking. If it was the other two, then there could possibly be a simple explanation for the odd behavior. As it is, I can't really understand it. It works just fine over here, even without exporting it to a fresh file.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
AdrianaAbramovich
New Contributor II
Each state has a FIPS code in text format<>.
Adriana
0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

There is no FIPS code for the Standalone table. I misspoke a little that it was a "demographic" table. It is not; it is a table of Zika Mosquito Virus cases -- by State.

0 Kudos