No "share as image service" option in Pro

Jump to solution
08-15-2022 08:47 AM
Labels (2)
HollyTorpey_LSA
Occasional Contributor III

In ArcGIS Pro 3.0, when I right click on a georeferenced jpeg image in the Catalog pane or in the TOC, I only see the "Share as Web Layer" option, while in standalone ArcCatalog, right-clicking on the same file yields a "Share as Image Service" option.

In ArcCatalog:

HollyTorpey_LSA_0-1660578125896.png

In Pro:

HollyTorpey_LSA_1-1660578158230.png

I thought maybe it was just a terminology difference, but no... if I select "Share as Web Layer," I only get the vector options: 

HollyTorpey_LSA_2-1660578402728.png

Does anyone know why I'm not seeing the option to publish an image service in Pro? Thanks in advance!

Holly

- Holly
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonahLay
Esri Contributor

Hi Holly,

To publish an image service from Pro, you will need to make a connection to a stand-alone ArcGIS Server site. See this help topic for more information: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/publish-an-image-service.htm

It looks like your active portal is ArcGIS Online. If you have ArcGIS Enterprise, you can share a web imagery layer which exposes a dynamic or cached image service. See this for more info: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/web-image-layer.htm

Best,

Jonah

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JonahLay
Esri Contributor

Hi Holly,

To publish an image service from Pro, you will need to make a connection to a stand-alone ArcGIS Server site. See this help topic for more information: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/publish-an-image-service.htm

It looks like your active portal is ArcGIS Online. If you have ArcGIS Enterprise, you can share a web imagery layer which exposes a dynamic or cached image service. See this for more info: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/web-image-layer.htm

Best,

Jonah

0 Kudos
HollyTorpey_LSA

Hi Jonah,

Thanks for your reply. My active portal was AGO when I grabbed those screenshots, but we also have Enterprise. Changing my active portal to Enterprise doesn't change the contextual menu options I see, but you're right, I do get raster service options when I select "Share as Web Layer" once I have the right active portal. I guess I assumed that since I still didn't see the "Share as Image Service" menu option, it still wouldn't work. Thanks!

Holly 

- Holly
0 Kudos
JonahLay
Esri Contributor

Great! Happy to help. Just to further clarify, Pro has been designed to both share web layers to portals and publish services to stand-alone servers, but as separate workflows. This is why you didn't see an option to publish an image service in the Share As Web Layer pane.

Best,

Jonah

HollyTorpey_LSA

Thanks, @JonahLay!

Upon further digging, I have a follow-up question. I get a different Share as Web Layer pane for the same image depending on whether I select the option by right clicking on the layer in a map's table of contents or if I select the option by right clicking on the same file in the Catalog pane. Here are the results of both actions:

This is the result of right-clicking on a raster image in the TOC and selecting Sharing > Share as Web Layer:

HollyTorpey_LSA_0-1660767522017.png

And this is the result of right-clicking on the same layer in the Catalog Pane and selecting Share as Web Layer:

HollyTorpey_LSA_1-1660767650427.png

The latter results in successfully publishing the layer to Enterprise, while the former publishes a layer, but unsurprisingly it's not a raster layer and won't draw.

At first I thought this wasn't a big deal because I could just publish the image from the Catalog pane, but then I realized that's not a perfect solution because I might want to modify the layer in the map prior to publishing. For example, I want to publish my image with a transparent background, but I'm not able to make that change in the map and then publish it. Publishing the file from the Catalog pane results in a hosted image layer with a black background.

How can I publish my image with a transparent background from Pro if I can't publish from the TOC? Or is there something I can do differently so that I can successfully publish the image from the TOC?

Thanks again for all your help!

- Holly
0 Kudos
JonahLay
Esri Contributor

Hi Holly,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the following:

"Publishing the file from the Catalog pane results in a hosted image layer with a black background." 

Transparency should be maintained for raster layers shared as map image layers.

After sharing a web imagery layer (image service), you can add it back to your map and change the transparency of that web layer. Does this work for you?

Best,

Jonah

0 Kudos