Select to view content in your preferred language

Newest ArcGIS Pro Release - Hangs when Excel file in folder is "touched"

Jump to solution
07-26-2022 12:41 PM
EllenNodwell_IntegraShare
Frequent Contributor

Installed the latest version of ArcGIS Pro as of this date (July 26, 2022) - today.  I have some spreadsheets in a folder that I planned to integrate into a data layer but, when I literally touch the item in the catalog it sets off a process and just spins...

EllenNodwell_IntegraShare_0-1658864075833.png

I suspect that the ExcelToSQLite64 may be implicated.

EllenNodwell_IntegraShare_1-1658864149086.png

It fires up and when I kill ArcGIS Pro (it's hung - hangs for a long time... over an hour), that is still running.

EllenNodwell_IntegraShare_2-1658864236404.png

EllenNodwell_IntegraShare_3-1658864312323.png

It consumes a very high amount of power and I have to kill it separately.  Then I have to reboot my machine to keep it from "thrashing"...

Anyone else having this issue?  I will be reporting this to Esri Support but wanted to ask if anyone has any thoughts.  It doesn't matter which Excel file I "touch" - can't do anything with it - anyway - it just causes this issue and I have to kill my project.

Having to use ArcGIS Interoperability Extension Workbench outside of Pro to do any data transforming, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor
7 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

Did you follow these steps after upgrading to ArcGIS Pro 3.0: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/excel/prepare-to-work-with-excel-in-arcgis-pro.ht... ?

--- George T.
Frequent Contributor

This worked, but it was not trivial.  I had to uninstall Pro, install the driver, then reinstall from a download - since initially the update was installed "in app" - the order of things was important and the in-app updating didn't leave an .msi file where it needed to be for any "repairs". 

Might be good for that info about a required driver update to flash up when in app updating is actioned off the about screen in Pro. 

No messages came up when I did this update - wouldn't it be a good idea to notify? 

Could be a good thing to let the folks (developers) who put that together know how this might save users frustration 🙂  Not everyone digs into the services to figure out what the problematic file is.  Yes, support calls are fine, but just thinking of user's time and frustrations and being taken away from their good work...

But, sorry I digressed - thanks for the solution! 

BTW it is still a bit slow to activate the feature.  Hope it gets improved - it's a great thing to have in Pro!

Cheers,

-Ellen WN

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

and a summary of the process: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000027949

and if you have Desktop installed on the same machine, pay attention to the 32 bit install as well.

R_

Frequent Contributor

I do not have that installed.

0 Kudos
ScottDrzyzga
Occasional Contributor

Non-trivial and not working

Hey Gang,

I’m running 64-bit Windows 10 with 64-bit Microsoft Office 365 (installed using Click-to-Run) and trying to read Excel files in ArcGIS Pro 3.

Given the info above and following Esri’s decision tree (ArcGISPro_Excel_Decision_Tree_Guide_Update.png), I installed 64-bit Microsoft Windows .NET 6 Desktop Runtime and I quietly installed the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable 64-bit driver before installing ArcGIS Pro v3 (clean install; not an update).

I double-checked my installations:

ScottDrzyzga_0-1660606486717.png

ScottDrzyzga_1-1660606486721.png

I ran odbcad32.exe to check my drivers; everything looks good.

ScottDrzyzga_2-1660606486725.png

Yet …  ArcGIS Pro 3 throws a hissy fit every time I merely touch an Excel workbook. It hangs indefinitely. There’s no way to cancel out.  I need to open the task manager to kill the application.

Please, what am I missing?

GIS professional and map nerd | Outdoor enthusiast | Remote Pilot (USA and Canada)
Fidelity_NationalTitle
Occasional Contributor

I'm having similar troubles. I installed the 64 bit driver, and then Pro 3.0. Things were mostly ok for about 6 weeks. But after an update to Microsoft Excel last week, like you - it seems any project that uses Excel hangs up. I tried repairing the ArcGIS Pro installation, no improvement. I'm waiting to hear back from Esri tech and my own IT. We followed the suggestion in the documentation https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/excel/prepare-to-work-with-excel-in-arcgis-pro.ht... - but I don't recall if we did the quiet install of the driver

ScottDrzyzga
Occasional Contributor

I figured it out (for now).  I noticed I had a newer version of Microsoft Access database engine 2016 redistributable 64-bit (208 MB) -- a version that was installed a month ago (presumably during an update).  I uninstalled it then quietly installed the recommended version (152 MB).  ArcGIS Pro 3 and Excel are playing nicely now.

I'm going to keep an eye on that engine because I'm assuming it will get updated again at the next cycle.

GIS professional and map nerd | Outdoor enthusiast | Remote Pilot (USA and Canada)