Most labels are not showing for a feature layer

Jump to solution
10-21-2021 09:10 AM
Labels (1)
KerryWilcox
New Contributor III

I am working in Pro with a polygon feature class that was exported as a file geodatabase from ArcGIS Online.  When I try to set up labels for it, only one feature shows the label regardless of which field I choose. I've also exported the feature as a shapefile, as well as tried it with ArcMap, but the same problem occurs.  

I've tried resetting the labeling properties, using both Maplex and Standard settings. 

I am able to label the original layer in ArcGIS Online successfully, so it is just this particular exported feature class that is having the problem. I exported different layers from AGOL as FGDBs and have been able to label all features successfully.

Hopefully it is something simple that I'm missing, so I'm hoping someone can point it out to me!

Thanks!

KerryWilcox_0-1634831599826.png

Tags (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Kerry,

I ran the check geometry gp tool on the feature class and it shows that there is incorrect ring ordering.  Once I ran the repair geometry gp tool on the feature class everything labelled fine.

Wendy

View solution in original post

KerryWilcox
New Contributor III

Ok, I'll keep an eye out for this issue in the future. Thanks, again Wendy.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey there! 

Is it possible that the other labels aren't showing because either a query is added to the labelling class, "Class 1" that only corresponds to that one feature being labeled, or that the other labelling classes don't have the "Label features in this class" option checked off? 

Hopefully it's simply that!

VinceZafra_1-1634836169927.png

0 Kudos
KerryWilcox
New Contributor III

Thanks for your suggestion, Vince.  There is no query added to Class 1, and there are no other label classes.  

I just tried re-uploading the GDB to AGOL, and had no problem labeling all the polygons there, so I'm still stumped.

0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Kerry,

Can you attach a project package with just this layer so we can take a look?  

thanks

Wendy

0 Kudos
KerryWilcox
New Contributor III

Hi Wendy--I've attached a project package with the layer.

Kerry

0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Kerry,

I ran the check geometry gp tool on the feature class and it shows that there is incorrect ring ordering.  Once I ran the repair geometry gp tool on the feature class everything labelled fine.

Wendy

KerryWilcox
New Contributor III

Thanks, Wendy! I appreciate your help with the fix. 

Is there a best practice on how to avoid creating incorrect ring ordering when collecting data? Or is this an artifact of exporting the data from AGOL?

Kerry

0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

this may just have been the dataset you exported.  I've tested another polygon dataset and it labeled fine.

0 Kudos
KerryWilcox
New Contributor III

Ok, I'll keep an eye out for this issue in the future. Thanks, again Wendy.

JessBonsell
New Contributor

Ahhh I had this exact same problem - thank you, repair geometry worked a treat!

0 Kudos