Mosaic to New Raster does not output all data

Jump to solution
11-22-2019 09:01 AM
TravisSmith5
New Contributor II

Using ArcGIS Pro - Mosaic to New Raster.  I have a mosaic with 650 images (~50 Gb) that I am trying to convert to a TIF or JP2 (~32 Gb). The process will usually complete with no errors, however the image will be incomplete and stops compiling in the middle of images, causing striping areas. See Image.  I have tried smaller subsets of the mosaic with the same effect.  I also tried outputting a smaller subset to GRID output, and that sometimes has worked - probably when I changed Mosaic Operator from 'Last' to 'First'. I do not know how to troubleshoot the issue other than repetition.  Some of the original images do have different resolution, but that doesn't seem to affect the output. Also file size and system resources do not seem to be issues based on subset trials.Streaky final.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TravisSmith5
New Contributor II

I just discovered the Export Raster option. It is not a Geoprocessing Tool (why?). This solved my problem.

Right click on the Mosaic - or any raster - go to Data>Export Raster.  This opens up a separate pane with export options very similar to Geoprocessing tools, but not a GP tool. The export worked perfect and even used the proper mosaic and some color balancing without being prompted.

With so many GP tool options, I fail to see why ESRI would leave this option 'hidden' separately under the layer Data options.  And it doesn't explain why the GP tools I tried failed.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Travis,

Does the Mosaic tool do the same thing? 

Mosaic—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

The workflow would need be adjusted, since Mosaic adds rasters to an existing raster, rather than creating a new raster, like Mosaic to New Raster. But here's how we can test:

• Make a copy of one of the rasters 
  • Use that as the target raster dataset in the Mosaic tool

Additionally, does the striping happen on any other mosaic dataset or collection of rasters?

Hopefully, this can narrow down where the issue is coming from.

Best,

-Lauren

TravisSmith5
New Contributor II

Good thought.

First test shows the same result.  As usual the missing data is slightly different each time.

I have tried different mosaics using the same source data.  It doesn't appear that the mosaic itself was the cause.  The source data could be, but we don't keep many raw files handy to try a different data source.  I will try a new source with already cropped images from a different year.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

A second question: 

Are we in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro? 

If in ArcMap, do we have 64-bit Background Geoprocessing installed and enabled? ArcMap is natively 32-bit, so for large processing jobs like this, it's generally a good idea.

To check

• Open the Control Panel
  • Navigate to Programs and Features
  • ArcGIS for Desktop Background Geoprocessing (64-bit) should appear as installed.
  • In ArcMap, click Geoprocessing > Geoprocessing Options
  • In the Background Geoprocessing box, make sure the "Enable" box is toggled on.

If we're in ArcMap and don't have 64-bit background geoprocessing installed, that might be a good place to start. Here's some of the pertinent documentation:

Background Geoprocessing (64-bit)—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Foreground and background processing—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

If we're working in ArcGIS Pro, disregard all of the above! ArcGIS Pro is natively 64-bit, so that shouldn't be an issue.

-Lauren

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Have you considered using a Mosaic Dataset instead of mosaicking all 650+ images into a single raster?  Could be a better approach and does not duplicate your data.

0 Kudos
TravisSmith5
New Contributor II

The intent is to create a flat file and then compress to .SID format for faster display on our IMS.

0 Kudos
TravisSmith5
New Contributor II

I just discovered the Export Raster option. It is not a Geoprocessing Tool (why?). This solved my problem.

Right click on the Mosaic - or any raster - go to Data>Export Raster.  This opens up a separate pane with export options very similar to Geoprocessing tools, but not a GP tool. The export worked perfect and even used the proper mosaic and some color balancing without being prompted.

With so many GP tool options, I fail to see why ESRI would leave this option 'hidden' separately under the layer Data options.  And it doesn't explain why the GP tools I tried failed.

RoamingEnt
New Contributor

I'm not sure how you mosaiced from the 'export raster' tool. I'm having a similar problem to you and when I tried to export my mosaic that had gaps it simply exported the same gaps in the raster.

LarryNSmith
New Contributor

I am having the same problem in ArcPro with "export to raster" like you describe. I get different results whether I save as a .TIFF, . BIL, or .BIP. It really makes little sense.

0 Kudos