Select to view content in your preferred language

Mosaic Raster to create tile package for offline use

Jump to solution
08-24-2022 07:47 AM
L77
by
Occasional Contributor

I have tiff imagery files for a Hexagon aerial imagery flight for Cowlitz County, WA.

I want to create a tile package for offline use in field maps.

I am using these instructions as my reference:

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/linux/share-imagery-as-an-arcgis-onl...

I am working in Arc Pro 2.9.2.

So far I tried Mosaic to New Raster but got the Error code 99999.

Then I tried Create Raster Dataset (that I could use for my output raster). Then I tried Mosaic but ArcPro crashed a few minutes after I clicked run.

Then I tried clicking on the Imagery tab and creating an imagery workspace and importing the photos but the tool didn't recognize the photos, so that didn't work.

Here are some screenshots:

This is the grid index for the images:

Lorraine77_0-1661351648633.png

There are 2,326 images and the file size is 150 GB

Lorraine77_1-1661351714862.png

Lorraine77_2-1661351792776.png

Here are the image properties for one of the images:

Lorraine77_3-1661352072666.png

Lorraine77_4-1661352103278.png

Here are the settings I used on Mosaic to New Raster:

Lorraine77_6-1661352181873.png

Lorraine77_5-1661352162174.png

and the error message:

Lorraine77_7-1661352197308.png

Create Raster Dataset settings( this worked):

Lorraine77_8-1661352256083.png

Mosaic settings (ArcPro ended up crashing after a couple of minutes):

Lorraine77_9-1661352293734.png

Lorraine77_10-1661352327094.png

Lorraine77_11-1661352334206.png

I attached the imagery metadata too.

Thank you in advance for any advice, I really appreciate it!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

First you need to create the mosaic dataset, then add rasters to it, then enhance/optimize it (if desired), then you have a mosaic to work with.

I normally use the  Create Mosaic Dataset tool to create a Mosaic dataset in a database (I just right click on database, new Mosaic Dataset).

Then in Catalog, right click on the new mosaic dataset and choose "Add Rasters".

Point that to the folder/workspace containing the tiff files and add the rasters to the Mosaic.  After the rasters are added, I normally calculate statistics and build overviews using the right-click on the mosaic dataset as well.

Then you use the newly created Mosaic dataset to create the tile package and you should be good to go.

The word doc you attached says the NAIP imagery supplied is in "UTM map projection, NAD83 (2011) datum, in meters" but the attached image properties say State Plane HARN.  I assume you used the project raster to convert them to HARN first?

Also, I see the imagery is 4 band, and normally, only the RGB bands are used, so I use the Composite Bands GP tool to reduce it to only 3 band so the final mosaic and tpk(x) is smaller.

R_

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

First you need to create the mosaic dataset, then add rasters to it, then enhance/optimize it (if desired), then you have a mosaic to work with.

I normally use the  Create Mosaic Dataset tool to create a Mosaic dataset in a database (I just right click on database, new Mosaic Dataset).

Then in Catalog, right click on the new mosaic dataset and choose "Add Rasters".

Point that to the folder/workspace containing the tiff files and add the rasters to the Mosaic.  After the rasters are added, I normally calculate statistics and build overviews using the right-click on the mosaic dataset as well.

Then you use the newly created Mosaic dataset to create the tile package and you should be good to go.

The word doc you attached says the NAIP imagery supplied is in "UTM map projection, NAD83 (2011) datum, in meters" but the attached image properties say State Plane HARN.  I assume you used the project raster to convert them to HARN first?

Also, I see the imagery is 4 band, and normally, only the RGB bands are used, so I use the Composite Bands GP tool to reduce it to only 3 band so the final mosaic and tpk(x) is smaller.

R_

L77
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rhett,

I completed the Mosaic Dataset and that worked well.

I am calculating the statistics now.

At what step should I use the Composite Bands GP tool?

I think that the metadata document had the original projection, then the imagery provider reprojected the data before they gave it out to the counties, because everyone in our area is using State Plan Harn for the most part. So I think the actual projection of what I am using is state plane.

Thank you for helping me!

Lorraine

0 Kudos
higgi270
New Contributor

This was incredibly helpful for a similar problem I had. Thank you for taking the time to spell this out!

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Sorry, I use the composite bands tool on the original tiff files to create a copy with only three bands.

Then I create the mosaic using the 3-band tiffs.

Not sure if a tile package will be larger with 4- bands, or if they are ignored in tile creation.

We don't use the 4th band, so as a matter of procedure, we reduce them to 3- band before using in Mosaics, etc.

Then, once everything is working, I delete the 4-band imagery to save disk space.

R_