Select to view content in your preferred language

Modifying decimal place (Precision?) of a field for a shapefile feature class.

Jump to solution
02-08-2024 08:03 AM
WDMParkPlanner
New Contributor III

I am having troubles following the online GIS instructions for modifying a field property: Modification of field properties—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation.  Essentially I have Acres as a field that I can calculate but there are many decimal points and I am just wanting to show two decimal points (hundredths). I thought I would be able to modify the 'Precision Field' as it is currently set to "0" which I suppose means that it will put as many decimals that it needs.  However the precision column is grayed out.  I also attempted to copy that field (Acres1) and was successful in changing the precision to "2" only to find that my acres numbers are rounded up to the whole number...Any ideas on how I can control the decimals of my geometry area attibutes I am calculating?

WDMParkPlanner_0-1707408079444.pngWDMParkPlanner_1-1707408150509.png

WDMParkPlanner_2-1707408205331.png

Many thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

Hello @WDMParkPlanner , this document describes Precision & Scale settings and when to use them.

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-customize-numeric-data-precision-and-scale-in-a...

Something like Precision 10 & Scale 2 may give you what you want.

View solution in original post

RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Does this post do what you want?

R_

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

Hello @WDMParkPlanner , this document describes Precision & Scale settings and when to use them.

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-customize-numeric-data-precision-and-scale-in-a...

Something like Precision 10 & Scale 2 may give you what you want.

WDMParkPlanner
New Contributor III

Yes, yes, and yes!!!  Thank you! I never would have known scale referenced that!

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Does this post do what you want?

R_

WDMParkPlanner
New Contributor III

That post is also extremely helpful and helped me understand the process for labels as well. This GIS Community is so helpful! Thanks!

0 Kudos