Merge tool in ArcGIS Pro Slows Performance

Jump to solution
11-18-2019 01:34 PM
AmyRoust
Occasional Contributor III

I've been combing the forums for a while now, reading up on the topic of slow performance in ArcGIS Pro. For reference, I'm on the most current version (2.4.2) and I'm editing data in a 10.6.1 geodatabase running on SQL Server 2016.

Has anyone noticed performance issues specific to the Merge tool? My current project involves a lot of chopping up and merging polygons into new configurations. The other tools that I commonly use (Copy Parallel, Split, Explode, etc) perform normally. When I select the Merge tool, I immediately start seeing the blue circle of death as Pro tries to bring up the panel. Even after I've done the merge and continue on with other tools, the performance is sluggish until I hit the back button on the Merge tool and go back into the Modify Features pane. While I'm working with fairly large polygons (1/2 mile to a mile long, maybe 66-80 feet in width), there aren't really any curves or excessive vertices in the geometry that I would expect to cause a slow down.

I've been tempted to call tech support, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this first.

13 Replies
LanceKirby2
Occasional Contributor II

That’s right. It actually worked itself out after about twenty times doing that work flow. Very strange

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Lance,

I couldn't reproduce a lag with merging parcels on my end. Since this could very well be data or database specific, I would recommend contacting Esri Technical Support - Esri Support Contact Support 

They can help narrow down the cause and, if needed, get a reproducible case to the proper development team.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
GrantDickins_OX2
New Contributor III

Hi, I have been experiencing the same delays using Merge for a year now. I am on Pro 2.9.2

No matter how I approach a merge it takes a very long time. These are some details about the workflow and data based on Scott's request above?

• Using the Merge editing tool found on the Modify Features pane? Yes
  • How many features are you merging? 2
  • I simply split a polygon, save the edits, then select either one of the two new split areas and merge it with any other poly from the same feature class, or even the other half of the same feature just split, and it just waits...waits....
  • How long does it take? 3-4 minutes
  • Where is the data stored? examples:
    • in a file geodatabase (FGDB) on a network location?
    • in a local FGDB? Local FGDB
    • in an enterprise geodatabase?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AmeliaBradshaw
Esri Contributor

Thank you for reaching out on this, Grant! Thank you for answering the questions as well. This is something that is persisting into 2.9.2, and is occurring with data housed on a local FGDB. The latter is especially concerning, as the application should access data on a C drive quickly and easily. Is this occurring for all the data you work with, or does it seem to be worse for specific datasets? 

For starters, I would recommend looking over the Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Pro document that Kory Kramer put together a few months back. There is a lot here, so it may take some time to look through and implement different options. Please let me know if you have further questions, and the answer to my question above, when you get a chance! 

0 Kudos