Merge tool in ArcGIS Pro Slows Performance

Jump to solution
11-18-2019 01:34 PM
AmyRoust
Occasional Contributor III

I've been combing the forums for a while now, reading up on the topic of slow performance in ArcGIS Pro. For reference, I'm on the most current version (2.4.2) and I'm editing data in a 10.6.1 geodatabase running on SQL Server 2016.

Has anyone noticed performance issues specific to the Merge tool? My current project involves a lot of chopping up and merging polygons into new configurations. The other tools that I commonly use (Copy Parallel, Split, Explode, etc) perform normally. When I select the Merge tool, I immediately start seeing the blue circle of death as Pro tries to bring up the panel. Even after I've done the merge and continue on with other tools, the performance is sluggish until I hit the back button on the Merge tool and go back into the Modify Features pane. While I'm working with fairly large polygons (1/2 mile to a mile long, maybe 66-80 feet in width), there aren't really any curves or excessive vertices in the geometry that I would expect to cause a slow down.

I've been tempted to call tech support, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this first.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnJones
Esri Contributor

I believe that this was fixed during 2.5 development.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
JohnJones
Esri Contributor

I believe that this was fixed during 2.5 development.

AmyRoust

Thank you, John! I hope you're right!

Has Esri announced when 2.5 will be released? I'm guessing that February is the next big release date, unless there is a December one. I did a quick Google search and didn't turn up anything definitive.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Pro 2.5 is scheduled for January.

AmyRoust

Just wanted to confirm that this is, in fact, fixed in version 2.5. Much better!

LanceKirby2
Occasional Contributor II

I'm at 2.5 and am still experiencing this issue..

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Lance,

Can you share some details about the workflow and data?

• Using the Merge editing tool found on the Modify Features pane?
  • How many features are you merging?
  • How long does it take?
  • Where is the data stored? examples:
    • in a file geodatabase (FGDB) on a network location?
    • in a local FGDB?
    • in an enterprise geodatabase?

Thanks for any additional details,

-Scott

0 Kudos
LanceKirby2

Sure. A common workflow is editing a parcel fabric residing in an enterprise geodatabase. The egdb runs on SQL server 2017. The parcel fabric is versioned before editing. The typical workflow is listed below 

1. Select parcel
  2. Split parcel with split tool
  3. Select split parcel feature and additional feature (two total features selected)
  4. Merge features with merge tool

Between steps 3 and 4 I experience the lag. It can be anywhere from 5 - 10 seconds and it doesn't seem to matter if I have 2 features selected to merge or 50 features.

LanceKirby2

I should add this wasn't an issue prior to Pro 2.4 or even in the earlier versions of 2.4.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor
Between steps 3 and 4 I experience the lag

I'm assuming you mean after you click the Merge button you experience the lag?

0 Kudos