Select to view content in your preferred language

Marker Layer (text) between dashes in line symbology?

07-29-2024 06:25 AM
ckellow
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to create symbology for a polyline, where there are letters between the dashes when a polyline is symbolized as a dash. 

I have a marker layer created within the symbology tab of the line, which is symbolized with dashes. The marker layer contains ABC, which I want to have appear between the dashes. Below is what the symbolization tab looks like:

Screenshot 2024-07-29 091225.pngScreenshot 2024-07-29 091112.png

However, the below image is what the layer ends up looking like: 

Screenshot 2024-07-29 092247.png

As you can see in the image, the dashes continue behind the lettering, which is not what I want. Below is an image of what I am trying to achieve, and would appreciate any and all help. 

Screenshot 2024-07-29 092410.png

Thank you

- Cole

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BarryNorthey
Frequent Contributor

I haven't tried this but the screen captures look like what you want:

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-create-a-custom-linetype-with-text-characters-i...

0 Kudos
ckellow
Occasional Contributor

I found that post as well while looking and the largest problem with it is that the line type will end up looking like this -E-E-E-E-E-. Essentially the line type I was looking for was ----------E----------. This caused problems as the offset of the E to the line width, would end up getting thrown off in cases of start points and end points for lines. 

0 Kudos
BarryNorthey
Frequent Contributor

Building on what you were doing, I added an additional white Shape Marker as shown. This creates a sort of halo effect as can been seen on the imagery. I set all ratio positions to 0.25 0.75 for alignment.

BarryNorthey_0-1722540287729.png

0 Kudos
ckellow
Occasional Contributor

This solution was a good idea for lines where you can have the HALO around the text. However, if you want to be able to the items underneath the text, then this will not work. This was my case as I cared about the overlapping features that the text would be overlayed on top of. 

One solution I never got around to doing because it was more manual would have been to manually place an annotation layer with the lettering in gaps of a line after setting the line to have a dashed type with a blank space. Similar to: --------------       ----------------. The gap would be filled with the annotation/label that would be placed there. 

0 Kudos