Locator not working in ArcGIS pro

02-06-2021 08:21 AM
PaulaLazrus
New Contributor III

Hi my students and I are using ArcGIS Pro in an introductory class. We are following this assignment https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/author-a-map.htm  When they get to the Bookmark section and try and use the locator to find a spot nothing happens. This also happens to me, even outside the assignment.  Typing something into the box and pressing return does nothing.  I tried to navigate to the location file but it says it is empty.  Not sure where to find what I (and my students need).

Any help appreciated.

9 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

It seems that you cannot connect to the ArcGIS World Geocoding Service

Problem: ArcGIS World Geocoding Service does not display in ArcGIS Pro (esri.com)

PaulaLazrus
New Contributor III

Thank you DavidPike, that seems to be exactly the problem, and I will follow the directions to the link (which I did not find searching for my problem) to see if I can't fix it!

0 Kudos
PaulaLazrus
New Contributor III

Ok, this seems to be part of the problem but when I follow the directions I'm missing the option to turn on the box I need to activate.  See attached, the instructions, and what I see.  Sigh.Screenshot (209).pngScreenshot (210).png

0 Kudos
PaulaLazrus
New Contributor III
Hello , Thanks for the help so far, I followed the directions in the link to solve the problem but the option I need to activate doesn't seem to be there. See the attached files. One is the instructions and the other what I see.

As always grateful to this community for help.

Paula Kay Lazrus, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Institute for Core Studies
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Environmental Science Program
St. John's University
St. John's Hall B3a-1
8000 Utopia Parkway
Queens, NY 11439
She/her/hers
lazrusp@stjohns.edu
718-990-2685
0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Yeh sorry, that link is probably quite old.  If you go to the 'Utility Services' tab, is ArcGIS World Geocoding listed under 'Geocoding'?

Heres another link - Can't access World Geocoder Service in ArcGIS Pro - GeoNet, The Esri Community

I'd recommend contacting esri support in the meantime, can't do any harm.

0 Kudos
PaulaLazrus
New Contributor III

So I tried this (had done it before actually but that didn't solve my problem either!)  If I try to connect to the server with the provided address I get the following error Screenshot (213).png

0 Kudos
PaulaLazrus
New Contributor III

Craziness, but I wanted to say Thank you and I fixed it.  The fix was the usual sort of infuriatingly simple computer issue.  So I decided to give the connections to a new arcgis online server a go one more time. I put in the same address as above, and then before accepting I added an S after the http.   It worked, and I was able then to go to settings in locator and sort it all out.  Don't know if it sticks, but I have a solution.

Thank you for sticking with me on this.

Paula

DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Not sure I helped at all, but glad it worked out (and continues to work out for your students).

WilliamKresan
New Contributor II

Well you're journey to locate has continued to help others; I was having a very hard time figuring this out and was just a day away from making our own Locator. 

Saved me a few hours work! Thanks:D

0 Kudos