Locate tool does not list matches.

04-29-2022 07:50 AM
Labels (1)
Matt-Goodman
Occasional Contributor

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2

I'm having trouble with my 'Locate' tool behaving badly. I have it configured with a couple of address locator services, as well as a few specific attribute fields in some of my map layers. This allows me to enter an address, a parcel ID, or lease ID into the search box and quickly find the property location on the map....it works fairly well, except....

Normally, the tool is supposed to list matches in a result list (even if just one single matching feature) below the search box and pan/flash the matching feature on the map. The results list allows users to see which map layer the attribute match was made within, and to right-click a record and choose from a context menu (select feature, zoom to feature, pan to feature, etc.). But my Locate tool never lists results anymore, when searching map layers, even when successful matches are made, and it doesn't flash the feature on the map (it does still pan to the feature). I'm not sure what has cause this change. I does still correctly list matches when entering an address, utilizing the address locator services. 

I have tried several tests in new Pro projects and I can replicate the problem, but it seems to happen when numerous layers are configured in the Locate tool.

Screenshot shows a successfully matched parcel ID search, but nothing listed in the results space:
lx.png

Is this a known issue? Bug? Are there known limitations that I'm not aware of? I've tested similar setups in other .aprx documents 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You need to click "Layer Search" at the top of the Locate panel. Also make sure whether or not the locate settings are doing "contains" or "full match", etc.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Matt-Goodman
Occasional Contributor

No, I'm not using the "Layer Search" function of the "Locate" tool. I'm using the "Locate" portion of the "Locate" tool to search pre-configured attribute fields in map layers (scroll down near the bootom in this documentation: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.7/help/data/geocoding/find-places-on-the-map.htm).  This allows users to customize the prioritization and cascade order for attribute searches on map layers as well as address locator services, in an all-in-one search box.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ah, right! Sorry, I mis-read the original post, but it is clear what you meant on a second reading.

I would double check the Search Mode on the layers. Do you have them set to "Equals" when you want "Contains"? If that's configured properly, you may be in Bug Territory.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Matt-Goodman
Occasional Contributor

It's not a question of whether my search strings find a match: the do match and the map does pan to the appropriate matched feature. The problem is that the UI does not 'flash' the feature and the UI does not list the matched feature(s) in the results of the "Locate" tool. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Matt - I too am seeing this as I right-click on the results and cannot zoom to, pan to and/or flash my results either in single existing project but when I open another project it works just fine.  Try this.  Do a Save As and save as a new project.  Does the UI behavior return?

0 Kudos
Matt-Goodman
Occasional Contributor

Save-As didn't change anything for me. It sounds like you're at least getting some results from your searches, right? I'm not even getting any results listed.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, I'm getting results.  Sometimes when I see strange behavior like this I rename the ESRI folder in the C:\Users\<user_profile>\AppData\Local and C:\Users\<user_profile>\AppData\Roaming folders to ESRI_OLD. Then reopen the project and see what the result is.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One suggestion, in the Locate Pane click "Layer Search" then on the left side of the UI, click the dropdown for options and select "match any part" - does the search return any results?  Please advise.

Matt-Goodman
Occasional Contributor

Yes, the Layer Search function does work as expected and it pans/flashes the matched feature. I can see how this is a good test/control to ensure the search string has a viable match in the map...but it's still the "Locate" portion of the "Locate" tool that is not behaving correctly.

0 Kudos