Locate not working with Join

05-16-2018 08:26 AM
BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I am trying to add a layer in my Map to the Locate tool, but after I click on 'OK' nothing really happens.  No error message, but also it does not show up in the Locate pane.

I have a join on the layer I am trying to add.  Could this be the reason it is not working??

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Okay - so in the Locate Pane, click Settings.  From there, click the + sign to the right of Locate Provider and select "add layer."  In the Select Layer UI, select the layer you wish to locate attributes for and then click OK.  This will open the Configure Layer for Locate Pane.  From there find the field you wish to Locate attributes for, then click the Search Mode dropdown to identify how to find attribute - Equals or Contains.  Click the back arrow above Alias Mode and then move up the layer to the first in the list with ArcGIS World Geocoding Service and XY Provider below your layer.  Now your Locate is configured to search for attributes in your layer.  Here's the Help Page - http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/geocoding/find-a-feature-using-the-locate-pane.htm

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

Hi Robert LeClair‌.  Have you read the rest of this chain??

The problem isn't working the Locate pane.  The problem is that layers with joins on them are now not showing up in the Locate pane since the latest update to 2.1.3.  

Previously a joined layer could be added, and all of the 'settings' adjusted, but using the 'Locate' function of the locate pane didn't actually work....at least with an SDE Feature class joined to an .XLS.

Now (since I updated to 2.1.3) this same joined layer isn't even showing in the Locate pane.  The 'Add Layer' button will not allow you to add it.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Apologies Brian - when I click on the first email from GeoNet it took me below the chain above it so was initially unaware of the prior discussions.  Did you see my response after my first response?

I did reply to the portion above this area and believe the issue to be with the Alias Field for setting up the Locate parameters.  Not sure if Excel supports alias fields.  If it's occurring after the 2.1.3 update and not prior updates, then it's a BUG.  I know 2.2 will be releasing very soon so perhaps that's another test with the 2.2 upgrade.

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

Yes, no worries.  In my case, I'm not really locating any of the attributes in the joined XLS.  I'm just trying to Locate one of the feature class attributes after creating the join.

Now the Locate pane won't even let me do that.  The only way I can do a locate on the feature class with a join, is to remove the join.  This is with a join to XLS.  Perhaps a join to a Table in a PGDB is different, as Shana suggest above.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Worth a shot certainly - let us know what you discover.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Brian,

Are you able to import the XLS into the SDE geodatabase, then use the imported table as the source of the join to the feature class. Then try to add the feature class as a layer provider. 

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

Hi Shana Britt‌.

No, uploading directly into SDE isn't an option as most of us (ie. end users) do not have Admin rights to the database.  

Alternatively, I have been messing with this today and here are some things I am finding (using ArcPro 2.1.3):

1.  I can no longer add an .XLS table to ArcPro

2.  If I convert the .XLS to a .dbf I can add that to ArcPro and join to the layer, but the layer still will NOT add as a Locate Provider.

3.  If I import the .dbf from above into the projects PGDB (in the Home folder), I can join it to the layer, but the layer still will NOT add as a Locate Provider

For all of the above, the feature class I am using is in SDE.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Brian:

The feature search behavior you described that includes joining an Excel spreadsheet to a feature class and not being able to set the feature class up as a layer provider to search for features is a bug, BUG-000114925, that I've added to our development backlog for review. If you are current on your maintenance I would suggest reaching out to Support to see about getting added to this bug so that you can follow it.

We've made some improvements to the way feature search works in the Locate pane at version 2.2, which went live a few days ago. You can search for features without configuring layers in the map, similar to behavior found with the ArcMap Find tool. The workflow you described in this thread will not work with the improvements either, from my testing the feature class and the table need to be in the same workspace (file geodatabase or enterprise geodatabase aka sde) if joined together. Find a feature by searching all fields in all layers in the map using the Locate pane is new for ArcGIS Pro 2.2.

Excel .xls tables can be used in ArcGIS Pro, but has limitations.

-Shana

0 Kudos