Select to view content in your preferred language

Layer blend wipes out layout map frame

10-27-2022 01:07 PM
chrisr_ca_us
New Contributor II

I am working on a series of maps and whenever I try and use a layer blend under the effects group it wipes out my layout map frame.  The effect displays fine on the map tab but the map frame in the layout tab just turns white. I am on ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2.  This is a big deal as this effect is a symbology requirement from the client, so now I will likely have to take the map into Adobe illustrator to add the effect.  Has anyone else experienced this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

HI Chris, 

There are some known issues/bug concerning layer blending and the display of the map in Layout map frames. These include:

• BUG-000151718 The clip to an outline option in Layout View causes the entire map frame to go white when activated on hill shade imagery that has a layer blend of Multiply applied to it.
  • BUG-000142625 Setting the layer blending mode to 'Darken' with a map series enabled causes the 'Exclude layers from clipping' settings in the Clip Layers section to not apply.
  • BUG-000143484 The layout does not honor map colors when the 'Layer blend' configuration is different than 'Normal' or 'Exclusion'

The problem you are running into may be one of the above, or something specific to your data/workflow. Can you contact Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Thanks, 

Tom

chrisr_ca_us
New Contributor II

Thank you for the reply Tom.  I had a short turn around on this and did some experimenting but never was able to get past the issue in ArcGIS Pro.  I have an Adobe license and the Maps for Adobe Creative Cloud extension so I just did the blend in Illustrator for the time being.

0 Kudos
ScottSweet2
New Contributor III

This bug is also present in ArcGIS Pro version 3.2.  I do not have the adobe license to fix it, so I'm SOL.  Very disappointing.  Is there a work-around for this other than using adobe?

0 Kudos
casjone
New Contributor

and it persists in 3.3

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Having a reproducible case is vital to fixing bugs. As far as I know we do not have a reproducible case in house in which to investigate this further. Can you contact Esri Support? 

They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @ScottSweet2 

Sorry you are running into an issue.  I'm currently unaware of any known issues concerning the "Hard light" blend option. I just tested with a map background and a basemap hill shade (ArcGIS Map Service) and saw no issue.  It is likely that the issue is specific to the layers and properties in your (and other's) map. Without knowing these details and being able to reproduce the issue you describe there is very little help I can offer.

Can you contact Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Thanks, 

Tom

0 Kudos