Select to view content in your preferred language

LAS Dataset to Raster & system resources. How can I tell if the tool is still working or if it is just frozen?

10-13-2019 10:03 AM
TylerDeMonde
New Contributor

I am a student working on creating 1 ft resolution DEMs, DSMs, Height above ground level (HAGL), and tree canopy layers using 2007 & 2012 NOAA LAS files that have been optimized using LAS Optimizer 1.2. I am having trouble with the workflow for this project because ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1 LAS Dataset to Raster is not working reliably. Here are my specific questions:

1. How can I tell if LAS Dataset to Raster is still working or if it is frozen in ArcGIS Pro? I check the performance tab in Task Manager and it does not look like anything is being written to the specified drive. But ArcGIS Pro is still using about 13% of my CPU power. Sometimes I run the process overnight and I am not sure if it is stuck at 80% (for example) in the morning or if it might still finish if I leave it running.
  2. Is it possible to force ArcGIS Pro and the LAS Dataset to Raster tool to use more system resources? I have 32GB RAM & an 8-core i7-9700K CPU. However,  ArcGIS Pro is only using 5.7 GB RAM and ~12-13% CPU. From what I understand, LAS Dataset to Raster does not support parallel processing & I already assigned ArcGIS Pro to high priority in Task Manager, but is there anything I can do to make the tool run faster or more reliably?
  3. If I can't force ArcGIS Pro to use the full potential of my PC, can I run ArcMap 10.7 simultaneously to use LAS Dataset to Raster on another LASD? Would having both programs running the same tool on different datasets cause problems?

Thank you in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
0 Replies