Lack of symbology styles in Pro

05-04-2017 02:19 AM
TheoFaull
Occasional Contributor III

I have a point layer. I want to make the symbol for it a tree.

In ArcMap 10.4, I open the Symbol Selector, type 'tree' and here are my results (excluding 3D symbols...)

Lovely, lots of options for me to choose from.

Now again, the same process in ArcGIS Pro 1.4.1 (again, exlcuding 3D symbols)

Why does Pro not have all the symbols from ArcMap by default? And obviously it should also have a few more as it's a newer release!

Tags (3)
27 Replies
TheoFaull

And to answer my own question, you can import ArcMap symbols into Pro from the Insert ribbon if you have ArcMap already installed.

Then broswe to:

However, shouldn't the symbols be present in Pro by default?

And what if you don't have ArcMap installed? Can you download styes (such as 'Forestry') from the web?

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you connect to the ArcGIS 2D styles among the system styles of ArcGIS Pro?

Connect to a Style - ArcGIS Pro

Add a system style to the project

System styles are styles authored by Esri that are included with ArcGIS Pro. New projects include connections to ArcGIS 2D, ArcGIS 3D, ArcGIS Colors, and ColorBrewer Schemes (RGB) system styles. You add and remove system styles from the System Styles dialog box.

1. On the Insert tab, in the Style group, click the Add Styles Add Style drop-down arrow and click Add System Style Add Style.
    The System Styles dialog box appears. System styles are grouped by theme in the list on the left.
  2. Use the check boxes to manage the list of project styles shown on the right.
  3. Click OK to confirm the current list of project styles.
Tip:
You can also add system styles to the project from the Project pane. Right-click the Styles folder Styles Folder and click Add System Style.

Think Location
TheoFaull

I've checked all the available 2D system styles on:

yet when searching for something as simple as 'tree', I get no results:

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

explore a bit... you were so close

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

t.faull is looking for 2D Symbols. In his original question, the screenshot is showing 192 symbols, but all are under 3D vegetation.

Think Location
TheoFaull

Yep, not looking for 3D symbols I'm afraid.

0 2D symbols for a tree. How strange.

Let's try some more common symbols:

No 2D symbols relating to oil?!

Just ONE result?

Sure, I can get more symbols by manually importing the ones from my ArcMap installation, but Pro should have a huge range of symbols by default.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

2D hmmm I didn't think the 3D required a 3D view but would work in 2D... back to explore

0 Kudos
TheoFaull

Oh I'm sure the 3D symbols work on a 2D map, I don't doubt that. But when you have 1000s of points to symbolise, you want simple lower-res 2D symbols for faster rendering perfomance.

0 Kudos
alex_friant
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for that! To improve the user friendliness of this, Esri should provide a link under the Appearance ribbon to this "Add System Style" which is found under the Insert ribbon. In my opinion, if a user can delete a style group from the Symbology pane, they should be able to rectify that from the same pane.

Thanks for posting this, it was very helpful.

0 Kudos