Select to view content in your preferred language

Labels in ESRI Topographic Basemap in ArcGIS Pro

12-15-2022 05:37 AM
Labels (1)
Da-WeiLiou
New Contributor III

May I have a question for the Labeling in ESRI Topographic Basemap in ArcGIS Pro ? 

Can those labels (road names, community's name,...,etc.) be editable ? 

Or can those labels be turned on or off ?

Some of those labels are wrong, where can I report those errors ?  Thanks.

Da-Wei

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Hala_Abdelmaksoud
Esri Contributor

hi @Da-WeiLiou ! 

Some basemaps have a separate layer for the labels/ reference, unfortunately topographic basemap doesn't.

You can use "terrain with labels" it is so close in appearance to the "topographic" and turn of the "World Terrain Reference" layer

Screenshot (91).png

0 Kudos
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX
Occasional Contributor III

I doubt that you'd be able to edit the data, however, you can try asking about it in the comments on the the World Topographic Map Content Page In the meantime, try using the  Vector Tile style editor to toggle visibility for specific layers in the map, for example Road/label/Local (Symbol). After you edit to your needs, you can save it to your organization and add it to your webmaps as a Basemap.

For details on how to customize vector tile maps, please refer to these articles on the ArcGIS Online Blog and view the Esri Vector Basemaps Reference Document.

0 Kudos
Da-WeiLiou
New Contributor III

Thank you so much!  This "Vector Tile style editor" is a great place for me to start.  Could you please provide more information about the label ?  I can find different layers there but don't know how to toggle the labels for a specific layer. Thank you so much for your help.

Da-Wei

0 Kudos
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX

1. Click the Edit Style icon

2. Browse Layers to find the ones you want to adjust (Hint: The icon has a "T" in the corner of it to designate labels)

3. Toggle the Visibility setting

TonyContreras_Frisco_TX_0-1671143968926.pngTonyContreras_Frisco_TX_1-1671144068760.png

0 Kudos
Da-WeiLiou
New Contributor III

Thank you so much.  This is great!  So there is no way to change the content of these labels (but only on and off) ?  Thanks.

Da-Wei

0 Kudos
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX

It is my understanding that ESRI and their data partners control the content of the services, but you can adjust the styling.

0 Kudos