Select to view content in your preferred language

Is this the intended behaviour? Connecting to an accdb, the event theme is treated as multipart?

Jump to solution
07-04-2024 09:42 AM
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I just want to check with the user community that what I see is indeed what ESRI think should be happening...

So following the instructions here I connect with an OLE connection to an Access database (accdb). I add the table to the map and then create an event theme from it, so far so good, as shown below.

DuncanHornby_0-1720110765032.png

Using the select tool I draw a selection box around 1 point on the map an I see this...

DuncanHornby_1-1720110815279.png

All points selected!

So I open the attribute table of the event layer and I see this...

DuncanHornby_2-1720110950530.png

Nothing is selected!

Am I right to conclude that an OLE connection does not work well with arcpro and that one cannot create sensible event themes from a table coming out of an accdb?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Good news Chris was able to identify this odd behaviour, hopefully documentation and/or tool will be updated with a warning as the solution was quite trivial. The table in the accdb had a unique ID field but it also needs to be set within Access to be the PRIMARY KEY. Once this was done and you build an event layer from it then rows are treated as single features and you can select individual feature and zoom to them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

Hello @DuncanHornby , no that would not seem to be the expected behaviour, and the instructions you have followed appear to be correct.

Can you post an anonymous sample .accdb file for us to try ?

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Hi @ChrisUnderwood , just checking if I can share a sample of the database, if I can't I will try to spoof up something. Either way will get back to you as this is a real show stopper for us and stopping a major project in our team from migrating away from ArcMap, where it just works flawlessly.

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Dear @ChrisUnderwood,

Attached is a zip file with an access database, points have been deliberately moved but the same issue still persists.

1. I create an OLE link to it using the 16.0 OLE DB Provider
  2. Add table to map
  3. Create an EVENT THEME (I don't want XY Table to Point before you suggest it), spatial reference is set to British_National_Grid.
  4. Try and select a single point selects everything and we don't see the selection in the layers attribute table.

It will be interesting to hear if you get the same issues and if there is a solution? By the way I using ArcPro 3.3.

Duncan

0 Kudos
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

Yes, I see exactly what you have described too. I can't see any immediate answer to it, but I'll carry on looking.

ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

The problem is not specific to your data, and it is not specific to the BNG Coordinate System. But I don't know what the problem is, it could be a Bug. I suggest you log a case with your Esri Distributor for more investigation.

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Have logged it with ESRI UK.

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Good news Chris was able to identify this odd behaviour, hopefully documentation and/or tool will be updated with a warning as the solution was quite trivial. The table in the accdb had a unique ID field but it also needs to be set within Access to be the PRIMARY KEY. Once this was done and you build an event layer from it then rows are treated as single features and you can select individual feature and zoom to them.

0 Kudos