Is it possible to use Esri basemap "stylings" on top of my data layers?

08-15-2019 11:49 AM
ChelsieWollett
New Contributor II

I often find myself needing to create maps that focus on just a few counties. I know one way to incorporate the use of Esri's basemaps is to just apply a layer that masks the unwanted states/counties outside of my focus area. Awesome, love it.

However, there are times that I want to focus on subsets of the data that those layers already include. Roads or cities, for instance. Maybe we want to include just a couple of the highways/cities that the overall Esri basemap has, or we want to have a map that shows which highways are available for hazardous materials transport. In other words, remove the excess cities/roads? Or, in another way of thinking of it, is it possible to have a "style pack" so to speak from one of the basemaps that I can apply to my layers?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Have you played around with https://developers.arcgis.com/vector-tile-style-editor/(modal:new) to see if you can go what you want there?

0 Kudos
ChelsieWollett
New Contributor II

I have actually. I found that last week and thought it might be just the tool I needed. However, I seemed to run into an issue. I can export a .json file from the editor, but then I do not know what to do with it. Doesn't it just load into ArcGIS Pro as a basemap layer? If so:

• I cannot tweak the underlying data to choose attributes I want to show/hide. I can only do this to groups of attributes in a way that Esri has defined. So what I consider a major highway for my region and what Esri defines as a major highway might be very different.

Thus, I'm still in the same boat as the original message. I think the easier option is - is there a way to take the json file I can export from the vector tile editor and morph it into a .stylx? That way I could apply those symbologies to my data on an as-needed basis?

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hmm, I have no clue if something like that is technically possible, but you're basically proposing an idea: Export stylx from vector tile editor... or something to that effect.  You could post that on ArcGIS Ideas‌ to see if it gains traction.